Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

No results were generated for call graph

kiddxin75
Beginner
Hi,

I am running call graph activities on two applications. One application is succesful to get the call graph data and the other one is failed because "No results were generated for this run. Check the log or output window for further information".

I tried to follow http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-vtune-performance-analyzer-for-windows-an-error-occurs-when-i-try-to-call-graph-my-application/ but without success.

I can't see any difference in the output window and log in these two applications. I attached the two log files with this post. Can any expert help to check them to see where is the problems?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best Regards,

KIDD
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - kiddxin75
Hi,

I am running call graph activities on two applications. One application is succesful to get the call graph data and the other one is failed because "No results were generated for this run. Check the log or output window for further information".

I tried to follow http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-vtune-performance-analyzer-for-windows-an-error-occurs-when-i-try-to-call-graph-my-application/ but without success.

I can't see any difference in the output window and log in these two applications. I attached the two log files with this post. Can any expert help to check them to see where is the problems?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best Regards,

KIDD

Hi KIDD,

You have to build your own modules with compiler switch "/Zi", and Linker Options - "/DEBUG", "/Fixed:no". That means, you can do full-instrumentation on these modules. If you didn't do in this way, your EXE module will be instrumented as "Minimal" level, your DLLs will be instrumented as "API export" level. like as system DLLs.

All two log files indicates that there is no debug info in your modules. Please check your "Call graph Configure".

Sometime instrumented APIs in DLLs are executed, sometime is not ("Now results were generated") - that is why you saw one application was success! However that is only for APIs, not for full-functions.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
kiddxin75
Beginner

Hi KIDD,

You have to build your own modules with compiler switch "/Zi", and Linker Options - "/DEBUG", "/Fixed:no". That means, you can do full-instrumentation on these modules. If you didn't do in this way, your EXE module will be instrumented as "Minimal" level, your DLLs will be instrumented as "API export" level. like as system DLLs.

All two log files indicates that there is no debug info in your modules. Please check your "Call graph Configure".

Sometime instrumented APIs in DLLs are executed, sometime is not ("Now results were generated") - that is why you saw one application was success! However that is only for APIs, not for full-functions.

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Iwas working on some tasks and only got time to reply today. Sorry for the late.

In fact, I read the VTune document and used the correct complie and link option already. But the call graph still not work.

I attach another two files with this post.

The failed_console_window.txt is the log I see in the console window. In which, you should see "All functions instrumentation of module "d:projectbinMyGame.exe" was successful." and "All functions instrumentation of module "d:projectbinMygame_server.dll" was successful." These two modules are my own exe and DLL, which I want to instrument. From output console, since everything is ok. But I still get "No results were generated for call graph" when I stop the application.

bistro.log is the log file created by vtune. Inside I see lots of errors. I don't pretty much understand the error. Is it possible for you to read a bit of the error and give me some explanation or point me to some reference document for these?

Thanks a lot.

KIDD
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - kiddxin75

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Iwas working on some tasks and only got time to reply today. Sorry for the late.

In fact, I read the VTune document and used the correct complie and link option already. But the call graph still not work.

I attach another two files with this post.

The failed_console_window.txt is the log I see in the console window. In which, you should see "All functions instrumentation of module "d:projectbinMyGame.exe" was successful." and "All functions instrumentation of module "d:projectbinMygame_server.dll" was successful." These two modules are my own exe and DLL, which I want to instrument. From output console, since everything is ok. But I still get "No results were generated for call graph" when I stop the application.

bistro.log is the log file created by vtune. Inside I see lots of errors. I don't pretty much understand the error. Is it possible for you to read a bit of the error and give me some explanation or point me to some reference document for these?

Thanks a lot.

KIDD

Hi KIDD,

I just saw your reply.

Yes. There is info about - All functions instrumentation of module "d:projectbinMyGame.exe" was successful.

Howevermany functions of MyGame.exe were not instrumented in bistro.log - because of "The method is an Import Stub". That kind of functions has only 4 byteslength andjump to real function entry...Call graph can't instrument the function, its size is less than 5 bytes.

Would you pleaseobserve this problem?

Thanks, Peter

0 Kudos