Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

OpenCL NEO driver (24.20.100.6286) and GPU Hotspots error "Intel Graphics Driver is obsolete"

Colin_Reinhardt
Beginner

I have the Intel OpenCL 2.1 NEO driver (24.20.100.6286) and just installed VTune 2018 Update 4 (build 573462).

My system is Intel Core i7-8650U CPU with UHD Graphics 620.

When I try to create a new GPU Hotspots analysis I get error message "Your version of the Intel Graphics Driver is obsolete and needs to be updated before collection."  

What to do?

Thanks, Colin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alexander_T_Intel1

Hi Colin,

Could you please tell me what OS do you use on your machine?

Regards, Alexander

0 Kudos
Colin_Reinhardt
Beginner

Running WIndows 10 RS4

0 Kudos
Egor_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi Colin,

It seems that VTune cannot find Metric Discovery API library, this library is part of Intel GPU driver. Please try following:
 - find GPU driver directory in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository folder, it is named like igdlh64.inf_amd64_<hash>
 - add this directory to the PATH environment variable, for example:
   > 
set "PATH=C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_2f24486b42920c1d;%PATH%"
 - rerun VTune
   ><path_to_vtune>\bin64\amplxe-gui.exe

Thanks,
Egor

0 Kudos
Colin_Reinhardt
Beginner

Egor,

I found the location you specified and added it to the PATH (and confirmed it is correctly in PATH now),

then reran VTune and it still gives the same error message on GPU Hotspots Analysis Type tab (I tried clicking "Retry").

Is it possibly a permissions issue, since my logged-on user acount is only User rights, but I'm running VTune As Administrator?

Or other suggestions?

~Colin

0 Kudos
Egor_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi Colin,

Please check that MD API library is installed, you need to open Driver Files Details window:
Control Panel > Device Manager > Display adapters > Intel Graphics > Properties > Driver tab > Driver Details button
You will see the list of installed driver files. This list should contain following records:
igdlh64.inf_amd64_<hash>\igdmd32.dll
igdlh64.inf_amd64_<hash>\igdmd64.dll

After that you need to run the Command Prompt (cmd.exe) as Administrator and execute:
> set PATH
This command will print the value of PATH environment variable. Please check that PATH environment variable contains the full path to the GPU driver folder and the GPU driver folder name in PATH and the folder name in the records in Driver files list are the same.
For example, if Driver files list contains the records:
igdlh64.inf_amd64_2f24486b42920c1d\igdmd32.dll
igdlh64.inf_amd64_2f24486b42920c1d\igdmd64.dll
then PATH environment variable should contain C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_2f24486b42920c1d

Run VTune using this Command Prompt and check that it gives the same error:
> <path_to_vtune>\bin64\amplxe-gui.exe

If the error still occurs, please collect additional logs:
> set AMPLXE_LOG_LEVEL=TRACE
> set AMPLXE_LOG_DIR=<path_to_existing_dir>
> <path_to_vtune>\bin64\amplxe-runss.exe --context-value-list > "%AMPLXE_LOG_DIR%\context_values.log" 2>&1
> set PATH > "%AMPLXE_LOG_DIR%\path_env.log" 2>&1
create an archive with the logs and attach it to a post.

Thanks,
Egor

0 Kudos