Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Problem using -gtool option on Vtune.

Adriano_G_
Beginner

Hi,

I need to collect data from MPI 2 applications, with dynamic process creation. The way I found is getting data for each process separately using -gtool option, but for any MPI application I get the same issue:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mpirun was unable to launch the specified application as it could not find an executable:

Executable: -gtool
Node: Scherm-Workstation

while attempting to start process rank 0.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried many different command lines, but the simplest one is like:

mpirun -gtool "amplxe-cl -c advanced-hotspots -r my_dir:all=node-wide" -n 1 ./mpi N_children

Where "N_children" is the number of children processes to be created.

I'm using vtune_amplifier_xe_2016.3.0.463186 on linux.

Any suggestions about how to solve that or better ways to profile MPI 2 applications?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Adriano,

Starting from VTune Amplifier XE 2017 the following semantics should work regardless if you have VTune driver installed or not to collect PMU events that is needed for advanced-hotspots:

mpirun -N1 amplxe-cl -c advanced-hotspots -r my_dir ./mpi N_children

For openmpi you should add -trace-mpi option:

mpirun -N1 amplxe-cl -c advanced-hotspots -r my_dir -trace-mpi ./mpi N_children

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Adriano_G_
Beginner

Well... I was using the normal openmpi instead of intel mpi, that was the problem.

So, I indicate the correct path (/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/mpirun) and it worked well.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Adriano,

Starting from VTune Amplifier XE 2017 the following semantics should work regardless if you have VTune driver installed or not to collect PMU events that is needed for advanced-hotspots:

mpirun -N1 amplxe-cl -c advanced-hotspots -r my_dir ./mpi N_children

For openmpi you should add -trace-mpi option:

mpirun -N1 amplxe-cl -c advanced-hotspots -r my_dir -trace-mpi ./mpi N_children

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos