Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Problems installing VTune

Mark_Beall
Beginner
I've just tried to install VTune Amplifier XE 2011 on a RHEL5 machine.

I have the following problems:
1) There is no amplxe-gui executable in the bin32 directory (there is in the bin64)

2) Most of the analysis types have a error message:
" Problem accessing the sampling driver. The driver may need to be (re)started. Please refer to the help pages for more information." However I can't find anything in the help pages that describe what to do.

Thanks for any help,

mark
0 Kudos
28 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

The installer will detect existing prior version, should uninstall it first then install the new version.
Only one version can be installed in one box.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
bsteintrc
Beginner
Yes, I recognize that this is the way the current installer works, but is there some important reason I'm not realizing that would make having more than one version installed on a machine undesirable?

Again, I'm working on NFS, so being able to have a second version at the same time for a transition period is very desirable. And at two, you might as well leave them all in case there's ever a compatibility issue...
0 Kudos
Jannie_
Beginner

Hi, I'm trying to run intel vtune power analysis on intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU running Ubuntu 13.04 i keep getting "Power driver is inaccessible. Make sure the driver is anstalled and you have permission to access it." I tried buiding and loading drivers manually, the sepdk builds and loads correct but the loading powerdk driver gives error "

Setting group ownership of device to group "vtune" ... ./insmod-apwr: 475: [: vtune: unexpected operator
Not managed to install the driver with the proper group. Wrong group is  vtune
Setting group ownership of device to group "vtune" ... ./insmod-apwr: 475: [: vtune: unexpected operator
./insmod-apwr: 487: [: vtune: unexpected operator
Setting file permissions on device to "660" ... done.
./insmod-apwr: 514: [: vtune: unexpected operator
./insmod-apwr: 528: [: unexpected operator
The apwr3_1 driver has been successfully loaded."

Could it be that my processor is not supported?

"

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

You may check:

1. Add your user account into "vtune" group

2. Run "sudo ./build-driver" so generate apwr3_1.ko which is "root" for owner/group

3. Run "sudo ./insmod-apwr"

My version is Ubuntu 13.10, it works. Your i7 processor should be supported.

0 Kudos
Jannie_
Beginner

Thanks Peter. Pls can u elaborate on how to add user account ito vtune group

0 Kudos
Jannie_
Beginner

Thanks. Fixed. I reistalled and did custom installation restricting power analysis driver to group "my username"

0 Kudos
Deepak_S_2
Beginner

Hi all, I was profiling a c++ code.But it is taking a long amount of time to collect the data.The application runs fine but hotspot analysis only shows collecting data.col_test.png

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@ Deepak S

I think that you ran basic hotspots, how long did you run application? Did you launch target application by VTune? VTune will stop after application's terminating if VTune launched application. Did you mean finalizing time was extreme long? Can you set "-duration" option, for example. 30sec to reproduce this issue? 

0 Kudos