Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Problems with Top-down Microarchitecture Analysis Method

Xueqi_L_
Beginner

I'm trying to analyse an execution on an Intel IvyBridge CPU (Xeon E5-2620 V2) with the Top-down Microarchitecture Analysis Method, described in Chapters B of the Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Optimization Reference Manual.

Therefore I perform performance counter events measurements with Perf (perf stat -e rNNN), There are some results I don’t understand:

1. CPU_UNHALTED.TREAD_P(0x003C) < CYCLE_ACTIVITY.STALLS_LDM_PENDING(Event A3H, Umask 06H)

I can not understand which it means?

1. CYCLE_ACTIVITY.CYCLES_L2_PENDING > CYCLE_ACTIVITY.CYCLES_L1D_PENDING and CYCLE_ACTIVITY.STALLS_L2_PENDING > CYCLE_ACTIVITY.STALLS_L1D_PENDING
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Did you run amplxe-cl without vtune drivers, I meant that you collected data with Perf via amplxe-cl?

Regarding that you have Perf performance data, you may visit Perf forum for questions. If you collected VTune performance data, please attach your vtune's result directory for investigating. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Xueqi_L_
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. Vtune(Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2016 Update 1 (build 434111)) works well with small dataset and report the right result, however, I need to profiling a long duration program, I set the command like this: amplxe-cl -collect general-exploration -r r000 -target-duration-type=long -data-limit=2000, but when the collection stops, I use amplxe-cl -report summary -r r000, the error is that amplxe: Executing actions 14 % Loading 'systemcollector-43347-sm197.sc' file(core dump). For this reason, I swithch to perf. 

Could you help me to solve the problem ' amplxe-cl -report summary -r r000, the error is that amplxe: Executing actions 14 % Loading 'systemcollector-43347-sm197.sc' file(core dump) ' 

Thank you very much :-)

0 Kudos
Xueqi_L_
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. Vtune(Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2016 Update 1 (build 434111)) works well with small dataset and report the right result, however, I need to profiling a long duration program, I set the command like this: amplxe-cl -collect general-exploration -r r000 -target-duration-type=long -data-limit=2000, but when the collection stops, I use amplxe-cl -report summary -r r000, the error is that amplxe: Executing actions 14 % Loading 'systemcollector-43347-sm197.sc' file(core dump). For this reason, I swithch to perf. 

Could you help me to solve the problem ' amplxe-cl -report summary -r r000, the error is that amplxe: Executing actions 14 % Loading 'systemcollector-43347-sm197.sc' file(core dump) ' 

Thank you very much :-)

Peter Wang wrote:

Did you run amplxe-cl without vtune drivers, I meant that you collected data with Perf via amplxe-cl?

Regarding that you have Perf performance data, you may visit Perf forum for questions. If you collected VTune performance data, please attach your vtune's result directory for investigating. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Thank you for update. We will work on other thread you created for long run application.

0 Kudos