Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Question for PCI Express* (PCIe*) Lane Margin Tool for PCIe 4.0/5.0

Waynekang1982
Beginner

Hi Sir, 

sorry for bothering

I follow the PDF "639433-PCIe-LMT-Gen4_Gen5-r0p55.pdf"

after keyin the CMD "from pci_scan import scan"

then system will show the "ImoportError: bad magic number in 'pci_scan': b'3\r\r\n' "

My linux OS is Ubuntu 20.04.02

python version is using Python 3.8

Could you please give some suggestions?

thanks a lot 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, Waynekang1982.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We have a forum for Embedded Developers, and we are moving this thread to that forum so you can get an answer to your inquiry as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Waynekang1982

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

We understand that you are having questions about the Lane Margin Tool for PCIe 4.0/5.0; in order to look into your case please let us know what hardware configuration are you running (CPU, motherboard, server).

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Waynekang1982

I am checking on your thread to know if you need further assistance with this request.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Waynekang1982

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
rjsu
Beginner

That import error you get is because the module is looking for python version 3.6.8 specifically. It errors out since your python version returns 3.8

0 Kudos
Waynekang1982
Beginner

Hi rjsu,

thank you , we got it, thanks a lot. 

0 Kudos
DenisR
Employee

Hi rjsu,

Is there a way to use LMT with python3.8? If not, do you have a plan to release it in the near future? If so, when?   

We have an OS, which we can not change the python version and by default it is python3.8.5.

Thanks

0 Kudos
rjsu
Beginner

Unfortunately, Python is not a backwards compatible language and I am not an employee of Intel, so I cannot speculate on a future compatibility update in the future.

However, it should be possible to install multiple python versions on an OS (assuming you are not blocked by 3rd party software or settings set up by an admin). Afterwards, you will need the path to point to that version and designate a unique command name like "python36" to finish setting up the path via environment variables(windows) or the alias command(linux). That way your system will still be able to call your python 3.8.5 version via command "python" and will also be able to call python 3.6.8 via command "python36"

0 Kudos
DenisR
Employee

Hi rjsu,

LMT scan does not identify Gen4 devices.

As you can see, Gen4 device identifies via "lspci" as a Gen4 x16 , but the LMT bus scan does not "see" it:

DenisR_2-1647180201378.png

Is LMT using an output of the "lspci" command, or is it using access to ECAM space, or is it using the UEFI interface, ...?

We are using Yocto OS, and the current driver exposes all devices (including all devices beyond RPs) to "lspci", besides RP bridges, could this be a problem? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Amberwu1123
Beginner

Hi DenisR,

I have already registered the account,

but I don't find anywhere I can download the PCIe lane margin tool. 

Please help.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Rex777
Beginner

Dear Sir, 
Where can I get the Lane Margin Tool for PCIe?

thanks.

0 Kudos