Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Regarding compatibility with microsoft .NET developement environment

Raja_Bose_C_Leo_M

Hi,

After installing Vtunes and thread checker 3.1, I opened my Visual Studio Soution file which poped up this error message, "One or more component did not load correctly. You may need to reinstall the product."

then I just followed this article "http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-thread-checker-for-windows-instrumentation/" to set the default instrumentation levels which give me a crash report. I have attached the crash report here.

Can anyone help me out in configuring Thread Checker?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi:

The fact that you got the "one or more components" error message means something is not configured correctly. Please provide your OS including version, what type of account are you running Visual Studio from and which version of Visual Studio? Also, which version of the VTune analyzer (see vtuneSupport.txt file).

Then, please export the registry key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Intel Corporation\VTune Performance Environment\6.0\Shell' and attach the file to your reply (see "Add Files" button and add as attachment).

0 Kudos
Raja_Bose_C_Leo_M

Hi Anderson,

Thank you for you reply,

I have installed Vtunes which came along with thread checker.

Here are the informations that you need,

1) windows Vista 64 bit SP2

2) Administrators account (opened my solution file with Administrator privilege)

3) Visual Studio 2008

4) Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.0 ... Build:719 (from About menu, unable to locate vtuneSupport.txt)

5) registry file Attached.

Hope that required information is provided

with regards,

Leo

0 Kudos
Raja_Bose_C_Leo_M

Hi Anderson,

I just read one of your article "Integration into Visual Studio* 2008 not working". I tried to integrate into Visual studio 2008 during installation, hope that could be the problem.

When I try with the latest version of the VTunes, I got an error stating that "internal error: backend signals" when I try to set \Qtcheck in the additional option.

with regards,

Leo

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

/Qtcheck would be a compile option, for Intel compilers only. Note forward (not back) slash. It must be allowed to take the place of all optimizations in the VS settings; it would not work if you had any objects built with /ipo, for example. In addition, I believe at link time it requires a library from the tcheck installation.

If you continue to have difficulty, it may be helpful to show the build log.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Also, /Qtcheck should only be used as a last resort, if normal instrumentation by the Thread Checker doesn't work.

So, please, just build your app like normal, making sure that symbols are generated, i.e. a PDB file, and that the link option /Fixed:no is specified. Then, create a Thread Checker activity and specify your app. Everything should work from there.

And, yes, integration into Visual Studio 2008 is not working on Vista, per the article. However, you can still use the standalone GUI.

0 Kudos
Raja_Bose_C_Leo_M

Thank you very much for all of your support. That was very helpful.

I have build the executable with the linker option /Fixed:no enabled and now I am getting around 4 "Unknown conflict errors". I was unable to trace down to the exact location in my code as the Source view tab doesnt give any informations regarding the stack(it says just unknown).

I was getting "Fri Feb 05 16:36:11 2010 [Intel Thread Checker Report: Write -> Read Conflict]" in between threads creation in the "Instrumented application status" of the Output window, is that fine?

I feel the deadlock doent happening after instrumenting some of the dependent Dlls. Do I really need to provide the .pdb files for the dependent Dlls too?

Is it possible to track down where actually the deadlock occurs using Thread checker?

If possible how shall I do that?

0 Kudos
Raja_Bose_C_Leo_M

For your information,

The executable that I used are Release executable(build with /Zi option and /FIXED:NO) in a different PC (with .pdb files) which runs on Windows 7.

I tried the same in my PC in debug version. I was able to get some informations regarding conflicts.

I was able to view the conflicts in the code as in the sample "Primes.exe" that you have provided but only for few conflicts (others are still unknown).

When I try to hit the start button in my application (which basically does an encoding process). I get this error message

"kmd_usercontrol.c", line 213: internal error: assertion failure.
Please contact customer support.

and then it crashes the application (For normal workflow it doesnt crash).

Thank you.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Raja:

If the "unknowns" are in the third-party libraries for which you have not debug info, then this is expected. You will only get stacks for code with debug info.

Are you saying that you are building the app on Windows 7 and attempting to run it on Vista? Can you build it and run it on Vista?

Also, regarding the "unknowns", you might ensure that you have configured the Microsoft symbol server so that you can get symbols for Windows DLLs. Please see the article at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-the-microsoft-symbol-server-with-the-vtunetm-performance-analyzer/.

Finally, remember, for thread checking, it is recommended that you select a small workload, since the overhead will cause your app to run longer. Also, if you have time critical code, you will need to either disable the checks or increase the timeout values so that the checks don't fail. There is no way around the overhead that incurred when checking each memory access.

0 Kudos
Raja_Bose_C_Leo_M

Thank you for your reply Mr.Anderson.

Actually I test the release executables in Windows 7 which is build on Vista (both 64 bit). Now As you said I try to build the app in Vista 64bit and run it in thread checker and I get this error message twice and then my application crashes...

I was able to launch my application through thread checker but when I try to hit the encoding buttton, it gives me this message twice and then crashes

"kmd_usercontrol.c", line 213: internal error: assertion failure.
Please contact customer support.

This error comes from Thread checker. Can you help me with this?

0 Kudos