Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Resolving information hang

acaldas
Beginner

Hello!

I downloaded intel VTune profiler and when running the Memory Access profile and finalizing, it gets stuck in "Resolving information" for variant symbols (dxgkrnl.sys, ntoskrnl.exe...), even with the "matrix" sample or an empty c++ visual studio 2019 project.

Any help please?

VTune Profiler 2021.2.0

Product Build: 615922

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel forums. We've tried it in windows and we don't find any issue running the memory analysis profile. I'd like you to provide your OS details & run the hotspot analysis and performance snapshot with the matrix sample. Let us know if you're facing the same issue. Also let us know whether you have any memory constraints in your machine.

I'll provide you the steps to run the memory analysis profile:

Step 1: Run Intel VTune profiler as administrator.

Step 2: Click on "Configure Analysis" in Welcome page.

Step 3: Choose where you want to run the analysis. Select "Local Host" in "Where" block

Step 4: Choose the executable file for matrix sample- "matrix.exe"

Step 5: Choose the "Memory access" analysis type in "How" block. And click on "start"

Please try the above steps provided and also run the Self Checker.

Make sure that VTune self check script is running fine to validate that appropriate drivers are installed and the system is set up properly to collect performance data. See whether its working fine and share the log.

The self-check file for windows “vtune-self-checker.bat” and for Linux “vtune-self-checker.sh” will be there in the <vtune-installation-directory>/bin64 folder if the VTune installation was done successfully.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
acaldas
Beginner

Hello! The  "memory access" analysis fails even with the matrix sample.

I attach my windows system summary and the vtune self checker log (which was successful).

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for sharing all the requested information.

Could you please try running the analysis using command line. There would be a command line generator option in Vtune profiler. I've attached the screenshot to show the command line generator. Please refer the attachment. Below are the steps to run any sample application in CLI:

1. While opening a command prompt, click on "run as administrator"
  2. In VTune Profiler, select the executable file and memory-access analysis and click on command line generator.
  3. Run the generated commands in the command prompt.

Also try the sample matrix application in CLI.

A result folder would be created by default in the directory from where we are running the analysis. Please check whether there is a result folder and share the result folder of the hanged analysis so that we can debug the issue further.

Thanks,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
acaldas
Beginner
C:\WINDOWS\system32>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\vtune\latest\bin64\vtune" -collect memory-access -app-working-dir C:\Users\acaldas\Documents\VTune\Samples\matrix --app-working-dir=C:\Users\acaldas\Documents\VTune\Samples\matrix -- C:\Users\acaldas\Documents\VTune\Samples\matrix\matrix.exe
vtune: Peak bandwidth measurement started.
vtune: Peak bandwidth measurement finished.
vtune: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter from another console window: vtune -r C:\WINDOWS\system32\r000macc -command stop.
Addr of buf1 = 00000000022B8070
Offs of buf1 = 00000000022B8180
Addr of buf2 = 00000000042C6070
Offs of buf2 = 00000000042C61C0
Addr of buf3 = 00000000062D6070
Offs of buf3 = 00000000062D6100
Addr of buf4 = 00000000082EA070
Offs of buf4 = 00000000082EA140
Threads #: 8 Win threads
Matrix size: 2048
Using multiply kernel: multiply1
Execution time = 36.434 seconds
vtune: Collection stopped.
vtune: Using result path `C:\WINDOWS\system32\r000macc'
vtune: Executing actions 19 % Resolving information for `nvlddmkm.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\iastora.sys'.
vtune: Executing actions 19 % Resolving information for `ntdll.dll'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\e1i63x64.sys'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\win32kbase.sys'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\crowdstrike\csagent.sys'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\ucrtbased.dll'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe'.
vtune: Executing actions 20 % Resolving information for `netio.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll'.
vtune: Executing actions 20 % Resolving information for `cng.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_27246fb37cc30d24\nvlddmkm.sys'.
vtune: Executing actions 20 % Resolving information for `iastorb.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys'.
vtune: Executing actions 20 % Resolving information for `hdaudbus.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\hal.dll'.
vtune: Executing actions 21 % Resolving information for `xusb22.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys'.
vtune: Executing actions 21 % Resolving information for `ndis.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\netio.sys'.
vtune: Executing actions 21 % Resolving information for `sepdrv5.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys'.
vtune: Executing actions 21 % Resolving information for `iarnvme.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\cng.sys'.
vtune: Executing actions 21 % Resolving information for `tcpip.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\kernelbase.dll'.
vtune: Executing actions 21 % Resolving information for `storport.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\iastorb.sys'.
vtune: Executing actions 22 % Resolving information for `storport.sys'
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudbus.sys'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\xusb22.sys'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\sepdrv5.sys'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\iarnvme.sys'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `c:\windows\system32\drivers\storport.sys'.
vtune: Executing actions 75 % Generating a report                              Elapsed Time: 36.605s
    CPU Time: 286.160s
    Memory Bound: 79.3% of Pipeline Slots
     | The metric value is high. This may indicate that a significant fraction
     | of execution pipeline slots could be stalled due to demand memory load
     | and stores. Explore the metric breakdown by memory hierarchy, memory
     | bandwidth information, and correlation by memory objects.
     |
        L1 Bound: 2.3% of Clockticks
        L2 Bound: 0.8% of Clockticks
        L3 Bound: 1.7% of Clockticks
        DRAM Bound: 79.1% of Clockticks
         | This metric shows how often CPU was stalled on the main memory
         | (DRAM). Caching typically improves the latency and increases
         | performance.
         |
            DRAM Bandwidth Bound: 0.0% of Elapsed Time
        Store Bound: 0.0% of Clockticks
        NUMA: % of Remote Accesses: 0.0%
    Loads: 152,562,076,725
    Stores: 17,175,515,250
    LLC Miss Count: 5,790,405,300
        Local DRAM Access Count: 5,752,902,675
        Remote DRAM Access Count: 0
        Remote Cache Access Count: 0
    Total Thread Count: 11
    Paused Time: 0s

Bandwidth Utilization
Bandwidth Domain  Platform Maximum  Observed Maximum  Average  % of Elapsed Time with High BW Utilization(%)
----------------  ----------------  ----------------  -------  ---------------------------------------------
DRAM, GB/sec      47                          23.000   11.151                                           0.0%
Collection and Platform Info
    Application Command Line: C:\Users\acaldas\Documents\VTune\Samples\matrix\matrix.exe
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10
    Computer Name: BAR-ACALDAS.ubisoft.org
    Result Size: 84.6 MB
    Collection start time: 15:24:29 06/05/2021 UTC
    Collection stop time: 15:25:06 06/05/2021 UTC
    Collector Type: Event-based sampling driver
    CPU
        Name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor code named Broadwell
        Frequency: 3.592 GHz
        Logical CPU Count: 12
        Max DRAM Single-Package Bandwidth: 47.000 GB/s
        Cache Allocation Technology
            Level 2 capability: not detected
            Level 3 capability: available

If you want to skip descriptions of detected performance issues in the report,
enter: vtune -report summary -report-knob show-issues=false -r <my_result_dir>.
Alternatively, you may view the report in the csv format: vtune -report
<report_name> -format=csv.
vtune: Executing actions 100 % done
0 Kudos
acaldas
Beginner

Let me attach the result folder of the memory access analysis too.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

VTune hang on finalization could be caused by the /DEBUG:FASTLINK or /DEBUG build options. Can you try to rebuild your application with the /DEBUG:FULL option?

0 Kudos
acaldas
Beginner

No luck... still hangs in the same place with \DEBUG:FULL option.

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We'll investigate this issue and get back to you with an update soon.

Thanks,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Could you please upgrade the Vtune Profiler to the latest version i.e. 2021.3.0 and check if the issue still persists? I've provided the link below to download the Vtune standalone latest version:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/oneapi-standalone-components.html#vtune

Also you could try re-finalizing the results and check if it works. You could find the re-finalize option in collection log. I've attached a screenshot to show you where the re-finalize option in available.

Thanks,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
acaldas
Beginner

Resolving information.jpg

I have latest version installed... I cannot click on Refinalize while it's stuck. I'm attaching a screenshot of the matrix sample analysis.

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We would like to confirm whether you've run the memory access analysis in the latest version or not. If not, try running the matrix sample in the latest version i.e. 2021.3.0 and send us the log files if you face any errors.

And as you mentioned earlier that the execution was successful while running the analysis using command line, you could try running any sample application in CLI and open the result in VTune GUI.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Could you please give us an update regarding this issue?

Thanks,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
acaldas
Beginner

I just updated VTUne with a new update, and repaired one api, and nothing has improved. It still gets stuck while resolving information and no button is available. I attach the logs, in the first one my pc crashed, the second folder it got stuck in resolving information.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We have checked the logs and verified the result folder and we are working on this internally. We will get back to you soon with an update.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
Jennifer_D_Intel

I'm taking a look to see if there's another compiler or Visual Studio setting that might be causing the problem. The VTune self-checker doesn't seem to have a problem running the provided matrix sample, so it seems like a configuration issue.

Other things that can cause what appear to be hangs are forced symbol cache updates from a slow server, or very large pdb files. In those cases you can specify where you want VTune to look for symbols and try to exclude large pdb files, or try to prevent the symbol cache from getting dynamically updated, or use a faster server. If you're running from inside Visual Studio then it will use the vsproj settings automatically.

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi Albert,

Has the solution provided helped? Could you please update us whether the issue is resolved or not?

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We assume that your issue is resolved. If you need any further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos