Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Results show all functions as: func@0x78ea12fa

paro1
Beginner

I've been profiling with VTune for a long time, and recently in VTune I've started getting unusable results. Almost every entry in the function list of the bottom up analysis is just func@address. For example, here are a bunch from a profile I just did:

func@0x78ea12fa
func@0x78c3933a
func@0x6eae3a70

These are obviously unusable to determine expensive functions, and the best I can currently do is narrow it down to the module. I was running VTune 2013 release 13, and I tried uninstalling and re-installing. I even upgraded to this latest version:

2013 date 14 (build 320457) Copyright © 2009-2013 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

... and I still see the same issue. To be clear, this is behavior that star started occurring at some point within the last month or two, prior to that I had been able to use VTune 2013 and everything worked. The change in behavior did not correspond with any upgrade or any other major event that I can identify.

I'm using Advanced Hotspots with hotspots, stacks, and context switches. I run my profile for about 30 seconds and then view the results. I'm profiling a release mode application and all of the symbols are present. The reason I believe the symbols are setup correctly is that if I profile the exact same application using VTune 2011, it produces great results. I've tried restarting my machine, deleting my VTune project and creating a new one, launching through VTune and attaching to an already running process. I've tried everything!

Any ideas what could be going on here?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Whenever you see a function like "func@0x6eae3a70", it means VTune Ampliifer XE was unable to resolve the address symbolically.  Ensure that your symbols are being generated and that VTune Amplifier knows where to look for them (see Search Directories), if you've moved them from their build location.

0 Kudos
paro1
Beginner

MrAnderson (Intel) wrote:

Whenever you see a function like "func@0x6eae3a70", it means VTune Ampliifer XE was unable to resolve the address symbolically.  Ensure that your symbols are being generated and that VTune Amplifier knows where to look for them (see Search Directories), if you've moved them from their build location.

Thanks for the response. I have not moved the symbols. Also, like I said, VTune 2011 is working perfectly when profiling the exact same application.

Are there any other diagnostics that I could try?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Steve:

In your original post, you said, "...I had been able to use VTune 2013 and everything worked. The change in behavior did not correspond with any upgrade or any other major event that I can identify."  That is another reason to suspect your build environment and not VTune Amplifier XE, based on my experience.

I'm assuming this is on Windows and you are using Visual Studio to build.  Is that correct?

0 Kudos
paro1
Beginner

MrAnderson (Intel) wrote:

Hi Steve:

In your original post, you said, "...I had been able to use VTune 2013 and everything worked. The change in behavior did not correspond with any upgrade or any other major event that I can identify."  That is another reason to suspect your build environment and not VTune Amplifier XE, based on my experience.

I'm assuming this is on Windows and you are using Visual Studio to build.  Is that correct?

Yes it's with Windows and Visual Studio. It's confusing to me why 2011 would be able to resolve the symbols but 2013 would be unable to do so with the same application. Thanks again for your response.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Okay, then   Are you building a Release version?  Did you change the compiler and linker options to generate and include full symbolic info?  Are these functions within a DLL that you are building, or is it third party software?  Is the PDB file in the same directory as the EXE/DLL?

A simple test would be to build the sample that ships with the product and verify that you can see symbols for it.  If that works, then you know it is something else.  If it doesn't, then there is a bigger problem.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Please ensure that PDB file is created(if profiled code is your own).You can also check with the debugger if it can resolve symbols.

0 Kudos