Analyzers
Support for Analyzers (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor, Intel Inspector)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4555 Discussions

Sampling 1st level cache misses retired - Discrepancy between hotspot and source views

akshan
Beginner
Hi,

When I view the hotspots results for 1st level cache misses retired events done by Event Based Sampling(EBS) in my program, a particular function: viscous_flux shows up with 202,571 samples. This was in GUI mode.

However I summed up the samples shown on each source line in the source view and got for the same function: 52,981. This was by using the command 'vtl view -code -mn SUmb_linux_intel -rva 0x3D8604', where the last is the address of the viscous_flux fn, and summing up the Ev1 column by a Perl script(which I've checked independently).

What's going on? Am I doing something wrong, I use the 'Calibrate value after sample for all the events' option and the sampling interval is set to 1ms.

Interestingly this discrepancy does not show up in a simpler test program.

I run VTune 3.0 on a Xeon Hyper threaded dual core. uname -a:
Linux localhost 2.6.9-5.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:30:39 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Aravind.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
jeffrey-gallagher

Aravind,

VERY interesting!

Can you clarify further: What vtl command line did you use before you ran the "vtl view ..."command that you listed below? (Something like "vtl activity -c sampling -app ... run")

In other words: below, it seems at least possible to me that you are examining the results of two different projects. One for vtlec, and a different one for vtl?

cheers

jdg