Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

Still evaluating VTune 9 and so far I'm not happy

postaquestion
Beginner

I'm having some issues that look like bugs to me, but maybe I'm not understanding something. I'm trying to use EBS, I need to check a specific part of my software that takse some UI and setup to trigger. I'm not interested in the launch of the application.

-I select "Start with data collection paused" and set a duration. It does not honour this. Rather collects events immediately at launch and shuts down the app after the entered duration. How do I get "Start with data collection paused" to work with a fixed duration in EBS?

-It also wants to relaunch the app multiple times. I can't stop this from happening and I'm not seeing where I control that (I have tuning advice disabled). I have to kill vtune in the task manager

-I cannot change much in the EBS config. For instance on the "Events Ratio" tab there is a way to add Events but there is no way to remove them

-If I set the duration to 0 then as soon as I add event ratios I get a message to use time based sampling or change the config of the event based sampling. The help states to disable calibration. If I disable calibration nothing changes and I get the same message. The UI bugs keep me from figuring our which events are causing the problem

So.... how do I get EBS to work?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_A_Intel1
Employee
PostAQuestion:

I'm having some issues that look like bugs to me, but maybe I'm not understanding something. I'm trying to use EBS, I need to check a specific part of my software that takse some UI and setup to trigger. I'm not interested in the launch of the application.

-I select "Start with data collection paused" and set a duration. It does not honour this. Rather collects events immediately at launch and shuts down the app after the entered duration. How do I get "Start with data collection paused" to work with a fixed duration in EBS?

I just tried this on version 9.0 Update 7 without any problems. What version are you using?

PostAQuestion:

-It also wants to relaunch the app multiple times. I can't stop this from happening and I'm not seeing where I control that (I have tuning advice disabled). I have to kill vtune in the task manager

This is because you have selected more events that can be collected in one run. There are a limited number of performance monitoring registers within the processor. Each run collects a subset of the events you selected. If you don't want multiple runs, don't select more events than can be collected in one run. You can see how many runs it will take on the Sampling Collector Configuration dialog's Events tab.

PostAQuestion:

-I cannot change much in the EBS config. For instance on the "Events Ratio" tab there is a way to add Events but there is no way to remove them

See the "Hint" when you first open the Event Ratios tab: "To delete an event ratio from the Selected Ratios list, go to the Events tab and select an event that was used to make up the event ratio you want to delete and click "Remove" button."

PostAQuestion:

-If I set the duration to 0 then as soon as I add event ratios I get a message to use time based sampling or change the config of the event based sampling. The help states to disable calibration. If I disable calibration nothing changes and I get the same message. The UI bugs keep me from figuring our which events are causing the problem

So.... how do I get EBS to work?

Again, which version are you using? Current release (9.0 Update 7) states that "In order to use a duration of zero, either switch to Time-based Sampling (if available) or change the configuration for Event-based sampling such that it only requires one run."

The problem is that with a duration of zero, the VTune analyzer has no way of knowing when the run is over. The current implementation does not provide a mechanism for the user to say, "stop collecting this set of events and start collecting the next set of events." So, basically, with an infinite duration, you can only have one run, that is, you can only select a list of events that can be collected in one run. To collect more events, create more activities.
0 Kudos