Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Theoretical Scalar Integer Performance KabyLake

Bonato__Tommaso
Beginner

I was doing some experiments with Intel Advisor 2020 and in particular with the roofline model. Something I can't quite understand is why the peak scalar integer performance (intop/cycle) is different than the theoretical one that I would expect especially since all other metrics match more or less (vector integer performance, floating point..)

In particular according to Intel Advisor the max peak performance (for add/mul) is around 2.3 integer operations per cycle while the theoretical value I would expect to find is 4 intop/cycle since we have 4 INT ALU in 4 different ports.

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Roman_B_Intel
Employee

Thanks for noticing this problem! We will investigate the issue - there are no obvious extra hardware limits for scalar integer ops, so our benchmark may provide suboptimal value.

Regards, Roman

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel

general answer from engineering team: "Advisor benchmarks are sensitive to CPU usage. Make sure CPU wasn't actively used by other process during advisor collection run. It is difficult to be more specific without cpu device id, e.g, please send advisor project.

0 Kudos