Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

Thread Profiler 3.1 hangs on Vista x64

cat-i
Beginner

Hi,

I'am using an evaluation version of Intel Thread Profiler 3.1 (Build:0.25456) and Intel VTune Performance Analyzer 9.0 (Build:719) on Vista Ultimate x64 with an Intel Core2 Duo E6600 CPU. When I am trying to profile an OpenMP application (generated with a non-evaluation version of the Intel C++ compiler 10.1.013) vTune launches my targetapplication and says "Preparing to collect parallel performance data...". Even when the target application has finished running vTune remains in that state forever and cannot be closed (it says an activity is running and when I choose to terminate it nothing happens).

Compiling with /Qopenmp-profile compiler switch does not change anything. Any help would be highlyappreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cat-i
Beginner

Oh well...

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling threadprofiler. The problem remains, but to make things worse, after a reboot it now seems that ALL sidebar applications are broken. Since the uninstall/install is the only thing that I did between those two bootsthis problemmust be related tothe installation. Looks like I'll have to reinstall windows now.

So much for evaluating vTune and Thread Profiler. I'm sorely dissapointed. While the C++ compiler from Intell really is a great and valueable tool, vTune/Thread Profiler seems to be really buggy. Defenitely not something our company is going to buy.

0 Kudos
cat-i
Beginner
God bless System-Restore. After restoring to the Restore-Point from before the installation of vTune the sidebar applications work fine again (aswell as everything else, except vTune obviously). So no real damage done, still not the kind of experience that I love.
0 Kudos
Mark_D_Intel
Employee

There are two different optionsyou could try:

1. Run the executable that was compiled with /Qopenmp-profile outside of VTune. This should produce a 'guide.gvs' file. In VTune, go to 'File->Open File' and select the 'guide.gvs' file (be aware of the file type filter at the bottom of the dialog)

2. Create the activity in 'Instrumentation' collection mode (rather than 'OpenMP-specific' mode). While not specific to OpenMP, instrumentation mode still works with OpenMP executables.

0 Kudos