Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

Threading other than pthreads

rzippelius
Beginner
Does Vtune handle threading packages other than pthreads? My application seg faults, when collecting call-graph data using Vtune. It used Quick Threads.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher
Hmmmm. Let me check.
I'll report back here soonest.
jdg
0 Kudos
rzippelius
Beginner
FYI, Intel's Vtune support has confirmed that pthreads is the only threading package that Vtune supports. Linux pthreads are being mapped into Linux processes, which gives them very poor performance compared to QuickThreads or other threading packages that run WITHIN a process. The very purpose of threads is to offer concurrency in code execution WITHOUT the heavy overhead of a full processes.
This is why high performance applications rarely use pthreads. Considering how increasingly important multi-threading is becoming ( after all the latest generation of Intel's own Pentium 4 has built in hyperthreading support), I am quite puzzled that Vtune only support pthreads.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
It's really just a timing issue. I expect that at some point in the future the VTune analyzer will support other threading solutions.
What threading solutions are you Linux developers using out there? Can you provide some direction to Intel for future support?

Message Edited by DaveA on 07-07-2004 10:40 AM

0 Kudos