Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

Use VTune on Windows to profile processes on linux remotely

mwins
Beginner
Hi,

I create processes for a Linux platform. The Linux platform does not have a Graphical User Interface installed. I would like to run my processes on Linux but use the Graphical User Interface of VTune on Windows. Is this possible and if so which version of VTune Performance Analyzer should I purchase (Windows or Linux)?

Regards,
Marcus
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - mwins
I create processes for a Linux platform. The Linux platform does not have a Graphical User Interface installed. I would like to run my processes on Linux but use the Graphical User Interface of VTune on Windows. Is this possible and if so which version of VTune Performance Analyzer should I purchase (Windows or Linux)?
You could use the Windows VTune with the linux remote collector which is included.
VTune and PTU install their own Eclipse GUI running on the target machine. This has proven more popular than the remote collector. It can be run remotely on linux from a Windows machine, when VNC or X server is installed on Windows. Free Windows X servers are better than free Windows VNC (possibly depending on your Windows version), but purchased VNC should be OK.
So, there are multiple ways to accomplish your task. You need root access (at least sudo) on linux either way, both for installing and for the group in which the collector runs.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - mwins
Hi,

Regards,
Marcus

Actually, you should purchase whichever one makes the most sense for you as far as a host system, since both the VTune analyzer for Windows and the VTune analyzer for Linux support a remote collector for Linux. You do NOT have to install the Eclipse GUI and a very thin client is installed on the remote system for data collection. The question is, which host do you prefer? Do you want to a use a Windows or Linux system as the host?

Also, note, please download an eval and try it before you buy it! ;-)

0 Kudos