Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Using VTune2018 for Xeon Phi knight Corner

王_子_
Beginner

Hello ,everyone. I recently used the VTune 2018 for Xeon Phi 5110p (KNC) but I found some differences in the new version. 

In analysis target tab, I can not find the Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor (native) or  Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor  (offload) tab, comparing with Vtune2016 , so can I use the only choice that local host to test the Xeon Phi program? 

I try this option, but I noticed that in the result report, the Collection and Platform Info :  the OS is Centos and the hostname is not the mic ,but in Vtune2016 running in offload mode the platform will show that : Intel MIC Platform Software Stack and mic0.local  .

So I want to know the program really running in offload mode or just run on CPU? How to explain the platform info ?

If just running on CPU, what should I do to make it running on MIC in Vtune 2018?

Thank you for everyone to spend time reading my question and I very want to know the truth.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The parallel studio 2018 toolset dropped support for KNC, so it would not be surprising if the new vtune doesn't collect coprocessor events. If you tried to rebuild with 2018 compiler you should get the warning that KNC architecture isn't supported
0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

It's correct that support for KNC was dropped with the 2018 release of the suite. Here are the specifics from the release notes:

3.1 Support for the Intel® Xeon Phi™ x100 product family coprocessor (formerly code name Knights Corner) is removed in this release The Intel® Xeon Phi™ x100 product family coprocessor (former code name Knights Corner) was officially announced end of life in January 2017. As part of the end of life process, the support for this family will only be available in the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 version. Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 will be supported for a period of 3 years ending in January 2020 for the Intel® Xeon Phi™ x100 product family. Support will be provided for those customers with active support.

0 Kudos
王_子_
Beginner

Jackson Marusarz (Intel) wrote:

It's correct that support for KNC was dropped with the 2018 release of the suite. Here are the specifics from the release notes:

3.1 Support for the Intel® Xeon Phi™ x100 product family coprocessor (formerly code name Knights Corner) is removed in this release The Intel® Xeon Phi™ x100 product family coprocessor (former code name Knights Corner) was officially announced end of life in January 2017. As part of the end of life process, the support for this family will only be available in the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 version. Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 will be supported for a period of 3 years ending in January 2020 for the Intel® Xeon Phi™ x100 product family. Support will be provided for those customers with active support.

Thank you for the update information, but I do the experiment that during I running a Xeon Phi offload program using Vtune2018, I ssh the mic0 card , I can see the program running on MIC using top command. And if I select different thread number using Vtune2018 , the performance is close to directly change the thread running in offload mode. So from this aspect, can I use the statics data in Vtune2018 for Xeon Phi offload mode. Can I think that the remove support just for native mode? Or if not , I will try 2017Vtune. Thanks!

0 Kudos