Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

V-Tune can't instrument cta.dll

postaquestion
Beginner

I'm trying to analyze a process that is linked to a lib that refers to a dll: cta.dll (From NMS Microsystems). I get the error alert with message: "The procedure entry point ctaQueueEvent could not be located in the dynamic link library CTA.dll".

Could this have something to do with the fact that there is another 'cta.dll' in the V-Tune analyzer bin folder?

I'd appreciate if you could give some help, instructions, documentation refs etc. The whole point of buying the V-Tune product was to analyze this product that is of no use if the Nmss cta.dll can't be refernced/included.

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Unfortunately, CTA.DLL is one of the VTune analyzer's DLLs that is loaded during a call graph activity. Because call graph inserts itself into the binary, thus removing the need to rebuild your application, it also means it must configure the environment so that the call graph DLLs are loaded to collect the data. The only suggestion would be to rename the NMS* DLL to something like NMSCTA.DLL, as well as the .LIB, if there is one, or change the dynamically loaded name in your code, to try to work around this problem.
0 Kudos
Mark_D_Intel
Employee
I assume this question is related to using the Call Graph collector (and not Sampling).

I created a simple executable linked with a dll named cta.dll (neither the NMS dll nor the VTune dll, just a simple dll created for the test), it instrumented and ran okay with Call Graph. This is not the problem (at least not on the surface).

The standard approach to debugging these problems is to lower the default instrumentation level (Configure -> Modify Call Graph Collector. Press "Advanced". Set the default instrumentation level to "Minimal" for all exe's and dll's. Try running it. If it works, then raise the instrumentation level on individual dll's and exe's that you wish to target. If it doesn't work, then there needs to be more investigation.

As another alternative, you could try the statistical call graph in PTU
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-performance-tuning-utility-31-update-3

0 Kudos