Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VDK on 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5PAE #1 SMP

edwh
Beginner

Has anyone managed to build a version of the VDK which runs on this kernel? Building modules has changed in 2.6, and I'm having trouble getting the VDK to build - it hits compilation errors during configure which fools it into setting up the wrong values.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - edwh

Has anyone managed to build a version of the VDK which runs on this kernel? Building modules has changed in 2.6, and I'm having trouble getting the VDK to build - it hits compilation errors during configure which fools it into setting up the wrong values.

The PTU which was to have releasedabout now includes prebuilt driver for 2.6.18-92.el5 (works for me). I assume it was built with the gcc 4.1.2 which comes along with that kernel. I wouldn't be surprised if you had difficulty with an older vdk or a newer gcc.

0 Kudos
Corey_A_Intel
Employee
You can try the following and see if it help:

1) install kernel-source-*.rpm for kernel 2.6.xyz

2) cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.xyz

3) make mrproper

4) make cloneconfig

5) make prepare

Then run VDK ./build-driver script to build the sampling driver.

0 Kudos
Ravi_V_Intel
Employee

Can you please post the actual compile errors you get when you attempt to build the driver? Also, which version of Intel Vtune Analyzer are you using?

0 Kudos
edwh
Beginner
Quoting - tim18

The PTU which was to have releasedabout now includes prebuilt driver for 2.6.18-92.el5 (works for me). I assume it was built with the gcc 4.1.2 which comes along with that kernel. I wouldn't be surprised if you had difficulty with an older vdk or a newer gcc.

Where can I get hold of this PTU?

0 Kudos
edwh
Beginner
Quoting - RAVI (Intel)

Can you please post the actual compile errors you get when you attempt to build the driver? Also, which version of Intel Vtune Analyzer are you using?

Here's one of the errors that one of the simple test programs created during the configure stage gets:

In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/thread_info.h:16,
from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/thread_info.h:21,
from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/preempt.h:9,
from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/spinlock.h:49,
from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/capability.h:45,
from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/sched.h:44,
from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/mm.h:4,
from vtunetemptest.c:4:
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/processor.h:80: error: CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT undeclared here (not in a function)

I've played around with this a bit and got further, on to other errors, but there's no obvious end in sight.

This is after installing the kernel source rpm and doing the make steps in the README (e.g. mrproper). It's using the latest evaluation download, which I think is 9.1.

0 Kudos
edwh
Beginner
You can try the following and see if it help:

1) install kernel-source-*.rpm for kernel 2.6.xyz

2) cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.xyz

3) make mrproper

4) make cloneconfig

5) make prepare

Then run VDK ./build-driver script to build the sampling driver.

There's no make target for cloneconfig. If you mean oldconfig, I've tried that.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - edwh

Where can I get hold of this PTU?

http://software.intel.com/sites/code-downloads/

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-performance-tuning-utility-31-update-3

indicates that the PTU update did occur over a week ago.

0 Kudos
edwh
Beginner

Using the PTU worked. Thanks.

0 Kudos