Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VS2012 VTune not allowing me to run Ivy Bridge Branch analysis?

T_C
Beginner

I have an Ivy Bridge processor (i7 3520M) and in Visual Studio 2012 I have my VTune XE 2013 integrated. When I have the project in release mode, I start a new analysis but when I go to Branch Analysis under the Sandy/Ivy Bridge node it says:

"This analysis is only defined for processors......"

and doesn't allow me to run it. 

My Visual Studio is running with Administrator privilleges..... 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Does any other type of analysis work?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Also, you can try others from command line. Use "amplxe-cl -collect-list" to display all analysis types. Then try "amplxe-cl -collect analysis-type-n -- application". Note that analysis type you selected depends on your processor's microarchitecture.  

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Only "General Exploration" and "Bandwidth" analysis types are supported on Ivy Bridge and Haswell. Others can be used on Sandy Bridge only. Sorry for being confused - we're working on better structure of analysis types.

"General Exploration" should be able to identify most of HW issues.

0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

Sorry for the delay guys, 

I have also noticed sometimes when I try to run general analysis and logged in as an Administrator my application crashes. I get a messaged saying my application has stopped working. Its not random- it will happen every time (this is when running the normal hotspot analysis).

Does anyone know why? 

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Can you run general-exploration analysis with other simple app, e.g. Hello world?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@Vitaliy

thanks for the explanation.

0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

Peter Wang (Intel) wrote:

Can you run general-exploration analysis with other simple app, e.g. Hello world?

Ran it with a similar project and it works fine- so may be my current project is corrupt. Not sure if this matters, but I use intrinsics in the project which won't profile correctly? The project runs fine but I wonder if the intrinsics cause the weird error message when using VTune?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

T C wrote:

Quote:

Peter Wang (Intel)wrote:

Ran it with a similar project and it works fine- so may be my current project is corrupt. Not sure if this matters, but I use intrinsics in the project which won't profile correctly? The project runs fine but I wonder if the intrinsics cause the weird error message when using VTune?

Thanks for the update, that you can run GE analysis with other applications. Try your executable in command line (open cmd to run as administrator, run amplxe-vars.bat under vtune_install_dir) to very:

1. Program can run without using VTune analysis.

2. Program can run with user mode sampling collection, e.g. Hotspots analysis

3. Program can run with hardware event-based sampling, e.g. Advanced-hotspots analysis 

4. Program can run with GE analysis, what is error message? And save result directory to submit this issue to Intel Premier.

0 Kudos