Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune 2016 Update 1 Bluescreen with Advanced Hotspots

Richard_S_4
Beginner

Hi there,

I've been using VTune Amplifier 2016 on a Dell Precision T7600 workstation running Windows 8.1 for a couple of months with great success. A new hardware rollout has seen me upgraded to a T7910 with Windows 10, but the Advanced Hotspots Analysis is resulting in a bluescreen every time I run it, in vtss.sys. I was initially seeing a DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER error, but since removing all Hyper-V options from my BIOS as suggested in another thread I am now seeing KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Meanwhile the Basic Hotspots view is fine.

​I think we technically have premium support but not associated with my developer account. Any assistance would be appreciated...

- Richard Semmens

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

> A new hardware rollout has seen me upgraded to a T7910 with Windows 10, but the Advanced Hotspots Analysis is resulting in a bluescreen every time I run it, in vtss.sys

What is new hardware to be upgraded to T7910 with Windows, probably there is resource conflict at driver module (interrupt service)?

I seems there is no way to avoid this, don't used event-based sampling but user-mode data collection can work. Remove vtss.sys ("VTune\bin64\amplxe-sepreg.exe -u")

It will be appreciated if you can send report to our developer when you meet BSOD again:

amplxe-feedback -create-bug-report <report archive>
amplxe-feedback -send-crash-report=<report archive>

0 Kudos
Richard_S_4
Beginner

Peter Wang wrote:
What is new hardware to be upgraded to T7910 with Windows, probably there is resource conflict at driver module (interrupt service)?

If you're asking what the hardware is, it's a Dual Xeon E5-2687W v3 @ 3.10Ghz on a Dell 0215PR motherboard (Intel X99 motherboard).

I'll get the bug report sent, but my expectation would be for us to work out a way to get event based sampling working, not just disable one of the key product features.

0 Kudos
Richard_S_4
Beginner

A couple of other points of note:

I am using the stand alone GUI to run this

Within Advanced Hotspots the top selection - Hotspots - works fine. Selecting Hotspots, stacks and context switches causes the bluescreen immediately.

I have generated and submitted the crash dump using the command line that you provided - is there anything further I need to do to associate the crash dump on your end with myself and this post?

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Richard,

Will you please upgrade to VTune Amplfiier XE 2016 Update 2? Very similar issue was fixed in this version already.

Also, does your application encodes/decodes video streams or renders graphics on the screen?

0 Kudos
Richard_S_4
Beginner

Update 2 does not appear to be available on general release; I can't see it in the Intel System Studio download area; only 2015 or 2016, version default or Update 1. Whereabouts could I get hold of Update 2?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
Richard_S_4
Beginner
"We are unable to find registrations / downloads matching this request"
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I you have registered product, such as Intel? Cluster Studio XE 2016 for Windows*, Intel? Parallel Studio XE 2016 for Windows*, or VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2016 for Windows*. The URL should work.

0 Kudos
Richard_S_4
Beginner

Ah-ha, my product is "Intel® System Studio Professional Edition for Windows* (All Tools)" which includes Intel VTune Amplifier 2016 for Systems

Can I get access to the VTune update separately or do I need for it to be rolled into the System Studio download?

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Richard,

Update 2 for Systems should appear soon. Please stay tuned for the announce from Intel Registration Center.

0 Kudos