Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune 8.0 on Debian?

mhermanns
Beginner
Hi,

Has somebody tried to install VTune 8.0 on a system running Debian? I know that it is not one of the supported distributions, but maybe it would work if one uses the Driver Kit to compile a driver for the used kernel (in my case 2.6.12 on Debian testing)?

Thanks in advance and greetings from Spain,

Miguel
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jeffrey-gallagher

Hola Miguel!

Since that OS is currently unsupported, there is no guarantee that the software will work even if you work many hours to try to make it work. It's true that you can use the VTune Analzyer Driver Kit to create sampling drivers, but there are many other software dependencies as well that must be in agreement.

Have you tried:

1) installing the VTune analyzer 8.0 on a supported Linux, and

2) install the Linux remote agent (vtserver) on your Debian system, and do remote analysis that way? ( The vtserver installation uses and comes with the VTune driver kit, to create sampling drivers.)

This configuration is unsupported, but, if there's any chance you can get Debian profiling done, this might be the fastest way to find out.

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos
mambru37
Beginner
I'm trying the same here.

All distros around me are Debian-based, so I'll give it a try.
At first look seems much more difficult than the compilers.

I'll post news if I succeed.

Cheers (from Spain :-))
0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher

Please let us know what happens. Also, please know that some folks have reported to us that they have gotten certain Debian OS versions to run vtl/vtlec by:

1) installing VTune on a supported OS

2) tar up the installation files (/opt/intel/vtune/..)

3) untar the archive onto the target Debian system

4) run the scripts in /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src that create the sampling drivers

5) test and run

THIS is not supported: our advice is stick to supported OS versions. BUT, some have reported "success" with the above process.

cheers

jdg

0 Kudos