Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

VTune 9.1 vs. Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit

mbellonvmware_com
I did the installation and had no problems. When I fire it up I get a host of errors, as if it is insisting on looking for 32-bit pieces (included below). Where do I go from here?

Thanks!

mark

User$ /opt/intel/vtune/bin/vtlec

java: config_n_control.cpp:582: signed int TBSInitDriver(): Assertion `dwConfigID == 0' failed.

/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so

/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so

/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so

0 Kudos
15 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
As you appear to have java problems, you should look at least at
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_10"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)

This version of java works on several different 64-bit distros. It's possible 1.5 may work, although it was troublesome for me. For sure, you need the 64-Bit Server. If it doesn't say 64-Bit, it's not 64-Bit. My personal advice would be to remove all 32-bit java installations, if any.
Where I couldn't get such a jre from the on-line servers associated with my distros, I used the standard one from sun.com.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
First, Ubuntu 8.10 was not supported until version 9.1 Update 2, which was just recently released. Are you using Update 2?

Second, if so, please execute the vtqfagent script, in /opt/intel/vtune/bin, by default, and then examine the log for the "Checking IA32 emulation packages" section and verify that all packages were found. Normally, during installation, this check is made and you are prompted to install any missing 32-bit packages. Make sure you have the ia32-libs package installed.

Please let us know your results.

0 Kudos
kzm
Beginner
I have the same issue with VTune (9.1 Update 2) on Ubuntu 8.1. I am using the java virtual machine that comes with eclipse jrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0_10. IA32-libs is installed.
I use removed all java vitual machines (SUN or GNU) after trying all of them without success.

$ vtl activity -c sampling -d 10 run

VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux*. FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY build 226

Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

vtl.bin: config_n_control.cpp:582: signed int TBSInitDriver(): Assertion `dwConfigID == 0' failed.

/opt/intel/vtune/bin/vtl: line 218: 14681 Aborted "${BINARY}" "$@"

Is there a fix for that?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You may have noticed from previous comments that most people who have tried Sun jre 1.6 have found it working better than "5" with Intel software tools. 32-bit jre will work only on a 32-bit OS. It doesn't matter whether you are using 32- or 64-bit compiler; on a 64-bit OS you need 64-bit jre and VTune.
0 Kudos
kzm
Beginner

I doubt that the above error is because of the JVM. The error is from the binary vtl.bin. It does not show a java stack when I run vlc (not vtlec).

About JVM, I tried 64 bit SUN JVM from Ubuntu distribution and direct from sun. The latest I have is

$java -version
java version "1.6.0_13"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_13-b03)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.3-b02, mixed mode)

When I removed all the virtual machines from the system, I was still getting the same error with vlt (but vltec was certainly not running at all).

I tried to run eclipse that comes with the distribution independently to find out the best JVM and it runs with no problem only with thejrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0. (ia32 start the distributed eclipse independently, while ia64 does not).

According to my understanding of the documentation, Eclipse that comes with Vtune requires 32 bit JVM, but I tried every thing.Among the JVMs I tried sun-java5, sun-java6 (64 bits), ia32_sun-java5, ia32_sun-java6, default-jre, open-jdk6-jre, etc. (Of course, ONE at a time).

My machine has AMD opteron 64 bit.

Thanks for suggestions
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - kzm
$java -version
java version "1.6.0_13"

According to my understanding of the documentation, Eclipse that comes with Vtune requires 32 bit JVM, but I tried every thing.

This looks OK.
I've asked for improvement in the installation requirements documentation, but I've been told no changes are coming.
0 Kudos
geoffrey-burling
Employee
Quoting - kzm

I doubt that the above error is because of the JVM. The error is from the binary vtl.bin. It does not show a java stack when I run vlc (not vtlec).

About JVM, I tried 64 bit SUN JVM from Ubuntu distribution and direct from sun. The latest I have is

$java -version
java version "1.6.0_13"

When I removed all the virtual machines from the system, I was still getting the same error with vlt (but vltec was certainly not running at all).

I tried to run eclipse that comes with the distribution independently to find out the best JVM and it runs with no problem only with thejrockit-R27.2.0-jre1.5.0. (ia32 start the distributed eclipse independently, while ia64 does not).

According to my understanding of the documentation, Eclipse that comes with Vtune requires 32 bit JVM, but I tried every thing.Among the JVMs I tried sun-java5, sun-java6 (64 bits), ia32_sun-java5, ia32_sun-java6, default-jre, open-jdk6-jre, etc. (Of course, ONE at a time).

My machine has AMD opteron 64 bit.

Thanks for suggestions

I believe your problem is explainedin your penultimate line: Intel VTune analyzer only supports Intel processors. Even if I am wrong, andthis is notthe cause ofthese error messages, then any data you try to collecton this computer with the AMD processor will not be useful for that reason.

Geoff
0 Kudos
threethazz
Beginner
Hello,

I'm having problems running the latetest VTune 9.1 on ubuntu 9.04.

here's the errors I get while starting up the software:

mnunes@LG:/opt/intel/vtune/bin$ ./vtlec

(Intel SDP:28089): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libmurrine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(Intel SDP:28089): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libmurrine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

But the software runs. Then I ask to start a New tunning activity and I get this:

/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so
/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so

So could you help me?
I've also used this same version on ubuntu 8.10 and I had the exact same problem.
I've got ia32-libs installed

system: Linux LG 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:15:32 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
running on ubuntu 9.04, Intel T9400.

thank you in advance,
Threethazz
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
As mentioned multiple times before, you would need the 64-bit VTune on an x86_64 system. If the installer recognizes your system, it should make the right choice, and you shouldn't over-ride that choice.
If you're implying that VTune trips up over the mixed up way Ubuntu places 32- and 64-bit libraries, I wouldn't be surprised. But that would be a stretched interpretation of what you have said.
It does appear to be looking for 32-bit software in the standard places, and finding 64-bit stuff there instead. As I said above, you shouldn't be trying to run 32-bit VTune.
0 Kudos
threethazz
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
As mentioned multiple times before, you would need the 64-bit VTune on an x86_64 system. If the installer recognizes your system, it should make the right choice, and you shouldn't over-ride that choice.
If you're implying that VTune trips up over the mixed up way Ubuntu places 32- and 64-bit libraries, I wouldn't be surprised. But that would be a stretched interpretation of what you have said.
It does appear to be looking for 32-bit software in the standard places, and finding 64-bit stuff there instead. As I said above, you shouldn't be trying to run 32-bit VTune.

But I just run ./install.sh and let it roll. I don't understand why it doesn't work properly. Is there a way to force a 64bit instalation?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - threethazz
Hello,

I'm having problems running the latetest VTune 9.1 on ubuntu 9.04.
thank you in advance,
Threethazz

We have not released a version of the VTune analyzer that supports "ubuntu 9.04." That's going to be your biggest problem! That is, we have not tested it, so *we* don't even know if it works! :-(

Sorry, missed your "I've also used this same version on ubuntu 8.10 and I had the exact same problem" comment.

Have you tried uninstalling, re-exacting the tar file into a new directory, and re-installing?
0 Kudos
threethazz
Beginner

We have not released a version of the VTune analyzer that supports "ubuntu 9.04." That's going to be your biggest problem! That is, we have not tested it, so *we* don't even know if it works! :-(

Sorry, missed your "I've also used this same version on ubuntu 8.10 and I had the exact same problem" comment.

Have you tried uninstalling, re-exacting the tar file into a new directory, and re-installing?

yes I did. Several times. In both ubuntu versions....
0 Kudos
mehmetb
Beginner
Quoting - threethazz

yes I did. Several times. In both ubuntu versions....

I have exactly the same problem on a 8-core Opteron machine, using Ubuntu, so you are not alone :). I got absolutely no warnings/errors during installation. I checked the installation script, it *does* make a compatibility check.

So I would like to ask Intel guys if there is an install log that shows which assumptions Vtune installer made? I expect it is a 32bit/64bit issue. We would really appreciate help from Intel on this.
0 Kudos
mehmetb
Beginner
Quoting - mehmetb

I have exactly the same problem on a 8-core Opteron machine, using Ubuntu, so you are not alone :). I got absolutely no warnings/errors during installation. I checked the installation script, it *does* make a compatibility check.

So I would like to ask Intel guys if there is an install log that shows which assumptions Vtune installer made? I expect it is a 32bit/64bit issue. We would really appreciate help from Intel on this.

I found this explanation here (http://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/irc_nas/1324/Release_Notes91_001.htm)

Ubuntu* 7.10 and 8.04: ia32-libs package is required for VTune analyzer to function properly on x86_64 version of Ubuntu* running on Intel 64 architecture processors. Ubuntu* standard distribution doesn't contain the ia32-libs package. Please install it from the universe Ubuntu* repository with the below command prior to running the VTune analyzer installation:

apt-get install ia32-libs

but apt-get says I already have the newest version of ia32-libs installed. Still, I believe the cause of our problem and this explanation is the very same issue.
0 Kudos
mehmetb
Beginner
Sorry --removed double-post.
0 Kudos