Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune Amplifier XE 2016: Error 0x40000024 (No data)

ksoft
Beginner

Hi there

I have installed my Parallel Studio XE 2016, and integrated it with Visual Studio 2013 (Win 10). I have release-compiled my application with debug symbols as described in the profile tutorials, but when I try to profile my application (either from the standalone gui or within Studio), my application crashes with the following error:

Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2016 has faced a serious problem
Error 0x40000024 (No data) -- No data is collected. Possible reasons:
- Workload is too small. No samples are collected.
- The application environment is not specified correctly. See the Troubleshooting help topic for more details.

I checked my settings but I couldn't spot anything wrong. My application runs perfectly fine when I launch it from the Windows Explorer. Any ideas on what I could try more?

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

Several things to clarify:

What is expected elapsed time of your application when you run it w/o profiling?

What analysis type did you use? If you used e.g. basic hotspots could you try advanced hotspots that has different collection method to see if it helps?

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
ksoft
Beginner

Hi Dmitry

I am supposed to start my application (the UI of it), and then when I perform my calculations withing the application the expected time is ~ 10 sec. I used Basic Hotspots Analysis.

What I also noticed is that if I run my app from the Win Explorer and then use VTune to attach to my app, then it works (it doesn't work if I launch the app from VTune).

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello again,

Could you please try advanced-hotspot analysis? If it also does not work - we can conclude that probably something is wrong with the application environment being launched under vtune.

Thank you, Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
ksoft
Beginner

Advanced Hotspot Analysis works indeed! Thank you so much for the tip.

Any ideas what is causing this behavior?

0 Kudos
ksoft
Beginner

Dmitry?? Any hints why the application crashes with the Basic Hotspots but works with Advanced Hotspots?

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Benjamin,

We will need more details to understand the reason why hotspots collection does not work and our developers will contact you shortly on what is needed for investigation.

So far please use Advanced Hotspots with stacks that should cover Basic Hotspots functionality.

Thank you, Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Maxim_P_
Beginner

Hi, I've the same issue in VS13. But I'm trying to run the Analyzing Locks and Waits procedure. Could you advise anything?

3-21-2017 4-21-04 PM.png

This issue is actual for my project and for the intel demo project as well.

0 Kudos
ksoft
Beginner

Unfortunately, I still haven't been contacted by the developers, and it is still an open issue for me.

0 Kudos
Kjell_H_
Beginner

I'm trying out VTune and I'm running into the same issue. Running the `advanced hotspots` with the default settings works immediately. 

I'd be more than happy to help diagnose this as well if Intel contacts me. 

Cheers

Kjell

0 Kudos
wilf-kruggel
Beginner

Same problem here.  Basic fails but advanced works.  Using Parallel Studio cluster edition 2017 update 4 on centos 6.8

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Guys,

could you please try the VTune Amplifier 2017 Update 4 (!!! not studio, studio update 4 includes VTune update 3)? 

Wilf-kruggel, I suppose that your issue relates to the recent security patch in the kernel. If it's so U4 will help you.

All  other, if you still see the same issue with the latest VTune update, please set the AMPLXE_LOG_LEVEL=TRACE environment variable in the VTune environment and repeat the issue. And then upload collected logs and the failed result.

Please use the following command to make a package with logs:

amplxe-feedback -create-bug-report=<your_bug_report>

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos