Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune Amplifier XE 2016 (and Windows 10) takes about 20 seconds to start VTune from command line

rohith_b_
Beginner

>amplxe-cl.exe -collect hotspots -inline-mode=on -result-dir=C:\del\test_bench --target-pid 10160

The above command takes 20 seconds to start VTune and create the result directory C\del\test_bench (I think most of the time is spent in creating the directory).  To create the same directory from File Explorer is very fast.  I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and VTune 2016.  Previously, i was using VTune 2013/2015.

Thanks, Rohith 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello Rohith,

Collection startup time depends on many factors, including for example license check. What is your license settings for the Intel Software products? Do you use local license files or floating license server? Can you please double check that you don't have old expired licenses locally or on license server side? You can use Intel Software Manager/Licenses tab to see all your available licenses. 

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
rohith_b_
Beginner

Hi Katya,

I checked the licence config/info and that should be not an issue.  Several of my colleagues use it and they don't have a problem.  We have a floating license.  

Also, i noticed VTune 2015/2016 are leaking memory (with Windows 10).  Eventually, my system begins to swap and becomes unresponsive.  I have 64GB RAM and memory should not be an issue (application i am trying to profile takes about 1 GB)

Thanks,

Rohith

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello Rohith,

Could you please run the following command, see the time it requires and publish its output:

<VTune_install_dir>/bin64/amplxe-runss.exe

BTW - so far it is worth to check another collection e.g. advanced-hotspots to see if it has the same behavior.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos