Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune Aplifier for Ubutntu 11.10

drMikeT
New Contributor I
I was trying to use VTune Aplifier on an Ubuntu 11.10 box but it could not create the Sampling Driver for the kernel:

$ uname -a
Linux mikexeon 3.0.0-16-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 27 17:44:39 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I cd'ed to "/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/sepdk/src" and tried to "./build-driver" but is says :

root@mikexeon:/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/sepdk/src# ./build-driver

ERROR: Linux kernels prior to 2.6.x are unsupported ... exiting.

How can I bild teh Sampling Driver for Linux kernel v 3.0.x ?

thanks .... Michael
0 Kudos
5 Replies
drMikeT
New Contributor I
Anyways, I will try to install VTampl update 7 which is suposed to support Ubuntu 11.10 out of the box ...
0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

A good information page about checking and / or building the sampling driver can be found here. As you already mention, make sure to run the latest update of the product or a version / update of the product best suited for your environment. Support for Ubuntu 11.10 was added in Update 7. Let us know if you have questions, comments, or need assistance.

- Rob

0 Kudos
drMikeT
New Contributor I
Hi Rob,

thanks for the pointer. There is good information which unfortunately is scattered around into too many places...

I installed update 7 and it worked out of the box even though the installer claimed it could go only upto Ubuntu 11.04.

BTW, would VTamplU7 install on an older RHEL 5.4 system ? I know that the PAPI for instance requires the perfctr kernel patch.

thanks again
Michael
0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

Michael,

Thank you for the update and good to hear that the Update 7 install went well on Ubuntu 11.04. In regards to Update 7 and RHEL 5.4, it is supported so the installation should work as expected. If you run into problems let us know.

- Rob

0 Kudos
drMikeT
New Contributor I
The natural question is if VTamplXE can help with analyzing performance of MPI applications with tasks running on separate nodes as in:

1) use the command line VTampl to launch the MPI code across nodes, such as,

mpirun -np 4 amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -result-dir "./$(hostname)" ./myMPI ag1 arg2 ....

which will save collected data in a separate directory according to the node the command ran.

2) Can now VTampl "combine" performance data collected on these separate directories and consider them as a single application ?

As a matter of fact the above could work on any distributed application (processes talking to each other by message passing on sockets, etc.)

Any suggestions ??

thanks
Michael
0 Kudos