Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune Profiler 2020 : Profiling Remote Target Inside Docker With Host and Remote system as Windows

Kothandaramaswamy__H

Objective : To profile remote running process using Hardware Event Based Sampling Hotspot analysis type inside a docker with windows image (windowsserver:ltsc2019) from Windows Host.

Version of vtune tool used : Vtune 2020 update1

Version of Docker Engine :  19.03.8 (Docker Desktop)

Host OS : Version 1909 Windows Pro

I have done the following successfully : 

1) Passwordless SSH connection to the remote system (docker) using empty password config (not through key based)

2) Installed VTune standalone profiler with command line support in the remote target system. This includes the installation of the driver also.

Problem : I get the following error 

C:\Users\hariv\.ssh>vtune --target-system=ssh:User03@localhost[:2222] -collect hotspots -knob collection-type:hw-events -- /matrix/matrix.exe
vtune: Using target: ssh:User03@localhost[:2222]
vtune: Error: Please, check that the command '/tmp/vtune_profiler_2020.1.0.607630/bin32/amplxe-runss -V' is run successfully on the target.
vtune: Error: VTune cannot detect remote machine configuration.
vtune: Error: Please, check that the command '/tmp/vtune_profiler_2020.1.0.607630/bin32/amplxe-runss -V' is run successfully on the target.
vtune: Error: VTune cannot detect remote machine configuration.

The amplxe-runss works fine when i try to run in the target system but it is present in a different directory inside /bin64

Attached files : 1) Included the screenshot of the error

2) Dockerfile used to build the windows image which includes SSH configuration and VTune installation.

3) The script to install the SSH in the remote target system

I am unable to change the default directory even by using the flag -target-install-dir . I am unable to find a solution after this to make my remote profiling work here. Any sort of Help is appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stas-Neverov-Intel

Hi Harinarayanan,

There is a preview feature that could help you. We now offer VTune as a web server in addition to the classic desktop usage model. We also do support Windows targets with VTune servers.

More information here:

You have two options with VTune Profiler Server. You can either run VTune server on your Windows target and access it remotely via web browser. Or you can run VTune server on any Windows host accessible from the target system and run VTune Profiler Agent on your Windows target. The first option should easier to setup.

Since you need HW profiling then both options require your target to be Windows-based VM with enabled PMU virtualization like Denis suggested above. 

Please check the online documentation above and let us know if you have any issues setting up a server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Kothandaramaswamy__H

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. Just for clarification, does the options mentioned by you support either of the following analysis mode?

Target : Docker running Windows OS

1) collect-with runsa 

2) Hotspot analysis with -knob sampling-mode=hw 

Also does the options mentioned by you support command line?

I will go through the documentation and get back to you for sure. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Stas-Neverov-Intel
Hi Harinarayanan, No, both options for VTune Profiler Server require a VM with PMU virtualization. VTune doens't support PMU analysis for Windows containers.
0 Kudos
Kothandaramaswamy__H

Hi Stas,

It is unfortunate that windows containers are not supported. On a positive note, is there nay chances of addressing the specific situation or windows containers in generic and bringing in a feature to support the same in near future? If you could like give a rough estimate of time taken to implement the feature if it is possible for windows containers, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

We are forwarding your request to concerned team.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jennifer_D_Intel

While I can't provide a date on when VTune Profiler will have the ability to run a hardware-based sampling analysis inside of a Windows Docker container, the development team is aware of the request. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

0 Kudos