Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

VTune Profiler Visual Studio 2019 and 2022 IDE Integration Stuck on Loading or Crashing

tedgress-daz
Beginner

Hi,

We are trying to use the IDE integration of VTune Profiler to determine hotspots in our primary product. I have went through a variety of steps to fix the problem we are having that seems to be isolated to my individual laptop. I have both Visual Studio 2019 and 2022 installed and VTune installed for both of them as well as some older version of Visual Studio installed beneath since we are still dependent on the v100 toolset for a few of our projects. 

The problem that is occurring on my particular machine is that when trying to launch the profiler from within Visual Studio or even when trying to look at the about pane from the configuration button causes a pane to open, get stuck on loading, or sometimes Visual Studio will just crash entirely. We use CMAKE as our cross-machine project generation tool and I have tried both reconfiguring/regenerating our CMAKE solutions, rebuilding the projects, reinstalling VTune, Updating Visual Studio to latest version, removing the Visual Studio Installer - reinstalling it - and performing a repair, and a host of other solutions to debug/fix this problem. It has not solved any issues.

VTune GUI works perfectly fine as a stand-alone application. It is only the integration of VTune into Visual Studio, both 2019 and 2022 which is problematic and causes the same issues in both IDEs. 

I'd like some help in trying to solve this issue and I can provide whatever hardware or software information necessary to resolve this issue. Thanks.

(Ted) Walter Gress

Daz Productions Inc.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. We could reproduce your issue. Please follow the below workaround and let us know if the issue still persists:

1. Update Visual Studio 2019 & 2022 from Visual Studio Installer as follows:Vtune20222019IDE1.PNG
  2. Open oneAPI Installer from the path <Intel oneAPI installed directory> : /intel/oneapi/installer/installer.exeVtune20222019IDE2.PNG
  3. Repair Intel Base Toolkit by clicking on Modify -> RepairVtune20222019IDE3.PNG
  4. If repairing doesn't work, please re-install the Base toolkit.

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This will help other users with similar issue.

Thank you,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
tedgress-daz
Beginner

Hello,

I went through these steps once before, I wen through them again for brevity. Your steps did unforutnately not resolve the issue. Coudl you please provide further assistance?

-Ted

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Walter, thank you for the update.

We will move your query to the respective forum for further support on the performance issues you are encountering.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Walter, please do the following for both the Visual Studio 19 and Visual Studio 22 versions>

• On the tabs at the top, go to Help tab
  • Select the option About Microsoft Visual Studio
  • From the dialog box that appears, select the Copy Info button
  • Paste the info for both the VS versions in a .txt file and share it with us

We would need to confirm the status of the integration.

0 Kudos
tedgress-daz
Beginner

text is attached.

Thanks,

Ted Gress

Daz Productions

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Walter, we have shared some information with you privately. Please check your inbox for further updates.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Walter,

Please try deleting %AppData%\Roaming\Intel\VTune\settings\certificates or %AppData%\Intel\VTune\settings\certificates (depending on your configuration) and restart MSVS and the VTune Profiler MSVS plug-in.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ted,

Did you get a chance to try the recommendation in my previous response? Did that help?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
tedgress-daz
Beginner

I did try deleting the certificates folder from AppData like you suggested, but after launching Visual Studio 2019 again I had the same response from vTune unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ted,

Per https://community.intel.com/t5/Analyzers/Configure-Analysis-window-not-loading/m-p/1260559#M20100

please try deleting "%appdata%\intel" and "%appdata%\Intel VTune Profiler" and restarting MSVS and VTune Profiler.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ted,

Can you provide a sample MSVS project to reproduce this issue? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ted,

To get logs from VTune VS extension:

Set VTUNE_AMPLIFIER_LOG_DIR environment variable to the existing directory.

Logs are available for viewing just as Visual Studio is closed.

If you are able to generate logs in the failing case, please provide them here.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ted,

I have not seen a reply to my previous messages. Is this still an outstanding concern for you?

0 Kudos
tedgress-daz
Beginner

I have tried multiple reinstalls of the extension, it still doesn't work properly. I am now using Visual Studio 2022. where it also doesn't work. This is still an outstanding issue, I would appreciate help.

-Ted

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ted,

To get logs from VTune VS extension:

Set VTUNE_AMPLIFIER_LOG_DIR environment variable to the existing directory.

Logs are available for viewing just as Visual Studio is closed.

If you are able to generate logs in the failing case, please provide them here.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ted,

To get logs from VTune VS extension, set VTUNE_AMPLIFIER_LOG_DIR environment variable to the existing directory (e.g, right mouse click on the Windows desktop and select Personalize then search for Environment and select Edit environment variables for your account, add a new user variable named VTUNE_AMPLIFIER_LOG_DIR with a value of C:\Tmp\VTuneProfilerLogs).

Logs are available for viewing just as Visual Studio is closed, so load the VTune configuration dialog inside Visual Studio, close the Vune pane, and close Visual Studio to see logs get created in C:\Tmp\VTuneProfilerLogs.

Please also repeat the failing scenario, then upload the logs so we can root cause the problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
tedgress-daz
Beginner

Thanks! Got the logs. Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ted,

Here is the comment from the developer about the log file contents.

"Unfortunately it is not related with our functionality. This error message is related with Cef Sharp embedded browser, and VTune does not use the functionality which failures. I observe the same error on my machine but it works as well. We really need reproducer to investigate issue."

Can you provide a reproducer project?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ted,

I have not heard back from you for a while. I am closing this issue from Intel's perspective (Intel will no longer be monitoring this thread), but it will continue in the community forum. If you see this behavior in the upcoming 2024.0 release, please open a new issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos