Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

VTune XE Update 3 BSOD Windows 7 x64

Jim_Dempsey1
Beginner
I've been running VTune Amplifier XE 2011 Update 3, (build 150226) for some time now, and today have started receiving BSOD on Windows 7 x64 Visual Studio 2010.

I am downloading VTune XE 2011 update 7 now. Will see how this works out and will report back on status.

I noticed the Linux post for system crash with VTune (pre-update 7). I do not know if this is related or not.

Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jim_Dempsey1
Beginner
Update 7 did not crash.

Jim
0 Kudos
Jayant_D_Intel
Employee
Thanks for the follow-up, Jim.
Jay
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
Some additional information in the event that this is a latent bug (one that wasn't fixed but the symptoms for me went away)...

The program under test causing the BSOD with Update 3 was also receiving stack overflows (due to coding error on my part) when not running in VTune. The BSOD may have been due to the stack overflow occuring at a sensitive part in the VTune code (e.g. double trap). Often this is fixed by having a reserved page at the bottom of the mapped stack space such that on the first stack overflow trap, the next page can be mapped to give you some grace space to recover. You might pass this information on to your software engineers for them to think about.

Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos