Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

VTune and Thread Profiler/Analyzer

drMikeT
New Contributor I
I read something to the effect that the Thread Profiler / Analyzer are plugins for VTune. Does this mean that I can use these thread profiling tools directly from within VTune ?

Or, is the thread analyzer tools' funcitonality already included within VTune and how do I invoke for MT/OMP code?

thanks .... -Michael
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
VTune Performance Analyzer's package already includes Thread Profiler package. After your installedVTune Analyzer, the installer will remind you to install Thread Profiler.

If you installed Thread Profiler, you can create a new activityforThread Profiler by using New Activity -> Threading Wizard -> Intel? Thread Profiler Wizard, within VTune Analyzer.

Default Collection mode is "Instrumentation", it can be used for WinAPI, POSIX* API, or OpenMP* threading.

Alternatelyanother way is to use command line for Thread Profiler in Command Prompt, and display/interpret result in VTune Analyzer:

1) VTune_Dir\Analyzer\bin\tprofilevars.bat
2) tprofile_cl your_program
3) Use VTune Analyzer's "File\Open File..." to open .tp file which was generated under sub-directory "threadprofiler", step 2.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
drMikeT
New Contributor I
VTune Performance Analyzer's package already includes Thread Profiler package. After your installedVTune Analyzer, the installer will remind you to install Thread Profiler.

If you installed Thread Profiler, you can create a new activityforThread Profiler by using New Activity -> Threading Wizard -> Intel? Thread Profiler Wizard, within VTune Analyzer.

Default Collection mode is "Instrumentation", it can be used for WinAPI, POSIX* API, or OpenMP* threading.

Alternatelyanother way is to use command line for Thread Profiler in Command Prompt, and display/interpret result in VTune Analyzer:

1) VTune_Dir\Analyzer\bin\tprofilevars.bat
2) tprofile_cl your_program
3) Use VTune Analyzer's "File\Open File..." to open .tp file which was generated under sub-directory "threadprofiler", step 2.

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter, thank you much for the reply. Does the VTune for Linux also support this ?

thanks...

Michael

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Michael,

(VTune? Analyzer for Linux* doesn't include Thread Profiler. If you already have Intel? Thread Profiler for Windows*, there is Tprofile3.1_012rdc_lin.tar - which could be downloaded from Intel? Register Download Site)

Use Intel? Thread Profiler in command line, that is very similar to Windows.

1. cd /opt/intel/itt/tprofile/bin/32e
2.source tprofilevars.sh
3. tprofile_cluser-app

Note that the user should open (view) .tp file onIntel? Thread Profiler for Windows, whichis integreated in VTune* Performance Analyzer for Windows*

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos