Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

VTune breaks program arguments with escaped double quotes

MikeWhatever
Beginner

To demonstrate this problem I have the following (Windows) program which just prints its arguments:

c:\dev>print_args.exe "{\"foo\": 123}"
arg[0]: print_args.exe
arg[1]: {"foo": 123}

If I run this using VTune (GUI or command line doesn't matter, I'll use the command line for demonstration purposes):

c:\dev>vtune -collect hotspots -- c:\dev\print_args.exe "{\"foo\": 123}"
vtune: Warning: Hardware collection of CPU events is not possible on this system. Microarchitecture performance insights will not be available.
vtune: Warning: To collect microarchitecture performance insights, run the product as administrator.
vtune: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter from another console window: vtune -r c:\dev\r000hs -command stop.
arg[0]: c:\dev\print_args.exe
arg[1]: {foo: 123}

We can see that the double quotes around "foo" have been stripped from the arguments sent to the program. This is breaking our actual application which expects to receive a valid JSON string as input.

Is there a better way to report this issue other than the forum? This is quite a big deal for us.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kirill_U_Intel
Employee

Hi.

As fast workaround, could you wrap your application with params by batch script?

run.bat

c:\dev\print_args.exe "{\"foo\": 123}"
vtune -collect hotspots -- RUN_BAT_DIR\run.bat

Thanks, Kirill

0 Kudos
MikeWhatever
Beginner

It seems there is a difference between the command-line and GUI handling of this.

The GUI workaround is to use \\" instead of \" but this requires hacking/changing the command line options if you are inheriting the settings from Visual Studio.

0 Kudos
MikeWhatever
Beginner

My use case currently is using VTune in combination with the Visual Studio plugin/add-on so these command-line arguments come from the project's Debugger settings. It seems we can workaround this by manually overriding the inherited settings and adding extra \ to the \".

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Mike,

Has the solution provided by Kirill worked for you. Please let us know if the issue still persists.

Regards,

Chithra

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Mike,

We are assuming that the issue got resolved with your workaround itself. So, we would discontinue monitoring this issue. Please raise a new thread if you have further issues.

Regards,

Chithra J

0 Kudos
MikeWhatever
Beginner

I have been able to work around the problem, but I still consider this a bug that should be fixed. Thanks for the suggestions all.

0 Kudos
MikeWhateverr
Beginner

Couple of years later and I'm stilling hoping this will be fixed at some point...

0 Kudos