Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

VTune does not support SetWindowsHook()?

cowwoc
Beginner
Hi,

I've got a program that calls SetWindowsHook() to inject code into explorer.exe... (I've originally reported problems viewing the profiling results but I managed to successfully open them under service-pack 1).

When viewing the profiler results for the "Call Graph Collector" I set SetWindowsHookExA() getting called but then it disappears. Furthermore, the function that is executed by the hook does not show up in the call graph at all, by any thread. It looks like VTune is ignoring this call sequence completely and this isa problem because it makes up 99% of my execution space.

How does one get VTune to properly recognize that SetWindowsHook() calls functions which should be part of the call-graph? I need to be able to optimize the code being executed in the remote process-space.

Thank you,
Gili
0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi Gili:
Try using "DLL-level call graph profiling" (see Index on VTune analyzer help). This will instrument the DLL and collect information about function within the DLL regardless of the calling application(s).
0 Kudos