Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune error message

lkirschnerlinda
Beginner
I've been using VTune for a few weeks without problems, including using the Source View window. I suddenly started getting the following message:
A serious error occurred in file D:VTune5.0analyzersrcSVDPVTSvdp.cpp at line 1526 (Unexpected problem has occurred. The Source View window will now be closed.). The failed HRESULT that produced this error is 0x80070057. Please contact technical support.
Does anyone know what might cause this, or what I can do about it? (By the way, I don't see any such file on my machine as a result of the installation.)
Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Note: the file referenced is the path to the source file in the VTune analyzer that generated the error and does not relate to any files on your system.
You didn't say if this was when viewing sampling or call graph results?
This error can result from many different conditions (some of which I am sure we are not even aware of!). The first thing to try is to load the module (i.e., DLL or EXE) containing the source file you are trying to view into the Static Module Viewer (see the File menu). Find the function you want to view in the resulting list and right-click on it. Select View Source from the popup menu. Does the same error occur or can you now view the source? If you can view the source, try cleaning out the Symbol Repository as documented in Step B of http://support.intel.com/support/performancetools/sb/CS-006107.htm.
If the same error occurs, try selecting other function, both within the same source file and in other source files, and see if you are able to view source. If the error only occurs when attempting to view one or two functions, it could be a problem with debug info provided by the compiler (is this IA32 or Itanium processor code?).
If the same error occurs for all functions, you might start looking at disk space limitations. The global data directory is typically located at C:Program FilesIntelVTuneglobal_data. Is there sufficient free space on this drive? Also, project data is typically stored at C:Documents and SettingsApplication DataVTuneProjects. If you've specified a different location (e.g., during project creation), does this drive have enough space.
Other configuration options to check include: source file paths (see Options -> Directories: File Type = Source), modules associations (right-click on sampling results and select Module Associations from menu), file associations (Options -> Directories File Associations).
0 Kudos
lkirschnerlinda
Beginner
Hi. I am doing event sampling. I determined that it is only some functions that I cannot look into, so I guess it's a problem with the debug info provided by the compiler. I'm running on a Pentium M. Any info on what kind of functions it has trouble with? The functions I'm having trouble with are doing floating point operations on arrays.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Is the compiler doing any inlining of functions as part of the optimizations? If so, there may not be an actual instance of the function. Check the compiler docs and turn off inlining, if possible, just to confirm that this is the issue.
0 Kudos