Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Very slow process with Intel Xeon Processors

luism0
Beginner
A 3rth party application is runnig long read-write processesusing 4 physical Intel Xeon Processors of 2GB each one. Theses tasks interact with SQLServer2005 databases, but its execution occurs at too low rates of processors use (around 30%. Also it seems than only one of four processor is acting). The memory level is not so affected during then processing time. (Additional info: Dell Compter, OS: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2,RAM:4GB)

I appreciate your suggestions.

Luis
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Apparently, you're asking for wild guesses, although you surely have more information than you have divulged. Your database server may be responding slowly, or you may be limited by the performance of your disk system. A striped data set might help with the latter, but I doubt that VTune will help much. If your data base server is responding to only one thread, or the threads are sharing a data file with locks, that might limit your job to a single thread.
0 Kudos
luism0
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
Apparently, you're asking for wild guesses, although you surely have more information than you have divulged. Your database server may be responding slowly, or you may be limited by the performance of your disk system. A striped data set might help with the latter, but I doubt that VTune will help much. If your data base server is responding to only one thread, or the threads are sharing a data file with locks, that might limit your job to a single thread.

Tim, thanks. First of all I expect to verify that processors are working fine. I'm suspecting sometihng goes wrong since the server was updated from SQlServer2000 to SQLServer2005. If this forumdoesn't manage this topic, about diagnose and tuning Xeon processorsplease suggestme the right forum to post.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - luism0

Tim, thanks. First of all I expect to verify that processors are working fine. I'm suspecting sometihng goes wrong since the server was updated from SQlServer2000 to SQLServer2005. If this forumdoesn't manage this topic, about diagnose and tuning Xeon processorsplease suggestme the right forum to post.
As SQLServer isn't Intel software, these forum sections don't offer a good alternative to Microsoft or possibly redgate or other independent forums dedicated to that topic.

0 Kudos
luism0
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
As SQLServer isn't Intel software, these forum sections don't offer a good alternative to Microsoft or possibly redgate or other independent forums dedicated to that topic.

Excuse me please, I don't want to mix SQLServer with Intel, only I'm adding a comment related to it. My Question now is: Which is the right formu to post about performance of Intel Xeon Processors.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - luism0

Excuse me please, I don't want to mix SQLServer with Intel, only I'm adding a comment related to it. My Question now is: Which is the right formu to post about performance of Intel Xeon Processors.

This is the right forum for use of VTune to investigate performance. Parallel Studio forum might also work for some similar Windows questions. When it pertains to compiler optimizations for an Intel compiler, you would use the forum associated with that compiler. Some performance questions might fit the Threading forum. Sorry it's so complicated; no problem with asking where you think best and getting advice to go somewhere else.
0 Kudos
luism0
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
This is the right forum for use of VTune to investigate performance. Parallel Studio forum might also work for some similar Windows questions. When it pertains to compiler optimizations for an Intel compiler, you would use the forum associated with that compiler. Some performance questions might fit the Threading forum. Sorry it's so complicated; no problem with asking where you think best and getting advice to go somewhere else.

Thanks again Tim, If you consider useful, in order to discardSQLSErver problems,I ran a special test with a miniapplication that I developed which executes thousands of iterations for a long time, detecting that the situation of low use ofCPU continues under similar levels.Do you have some hints about this issue?

Thanks
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - luism0

Thanks again Tim, If you consider useful, in order to discardSQLSErver problems,I ran a special test with a miniapplication that I developed which executes thousands of iterations for a long time, detecting that the situation of low use ofCPU continues under similar levels.Do you have some hints about this issue?

Thanks
If it is due to the application memory footpring exceeding installed RAM, VTune would likely show high rates of L2 cache or DTLB miss.
0 Kudos