Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Very unstable vtune

A_K_3
Beginner

I have been using vtune amplifier 2015 for a few months now for analyzing performance of our products. It has been extremely unstable for me, crashing during data collection as well as when I am going through caller-callee stacks and changing views during my analysis. On an average I am generating 2-3 crashes and whenever the vtune application does not blue screen my machine, it generates crash dump. I have been religiously sending these to the intel email address for vtune support.

I do not have reproduction steps for you, as the exact steps never reproduce the problem completely. However, it would be great if I could get any help to track down the root cause. My organization has a site license. I can provide more details through private channels if needed.

I am opening a new thread in the hope that someone from vtune customer support team will be able to help me. I can provide any additional data/traces you would like, through private communication thread. Here are details of application and my machine:

I am using vtune amplifier XE 2015 Update 1 (build 380310)

My machine spec is as follows:

Intel Xeon CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz

64 bit operating system

RAM 32GB

OS Windows 7 enterprise

I personally have not upgraded to 2016, however a teammate has and they have not seen any improvement in terms of stability. Any pointers/help in tracking this down will be appreciated,

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi A.K.

I'm sorry you are experiencing these problems.  These kinds of problems are best handled through Intel® Premier Support.  Intel Premier Support is the free, secure support mechanism monitored specifically by the VTune Amplifier support team.  Also, no doubt they will need to exchange details with you and it is better done through that secure mechanism.

You are on a very old release, so the first step is going to be to upgrade to the latest, 2016 Update 3, released earlier this week.  The newer releases should capture crash details, automatically.  Also, please execute the command 'amplxe-feedback -create-bug-report report.zip' in a writable directory and include that with your issue submission on Intel Premier Support.

0 Kudos
A_K_3
Beginner

MrAnderson (Intel) wrote:

Hi A.K.

I'm sorry you are experiencing these problems.  These kinds of problems are best handled through Intel® Premier Support.  Intel Premier Support is the free, secure support mechanism monitored specifically by the VTune Amplifier support team.  Also, no doubt they will need to exchange details with you and it is better done through that secure mechanism.

You are on a very old release, so the first step is going to be to upgrade to the latest, 2016 Update 3, released earlier this week.  The newer releases should capture crash details, automatically.  Also, please execute the command 'amplxe-feedback -create-bug-report report.zip' in a writable directory and include that with your issue submission on Intel Premier Support.

Hello,

I will be updating my vtune per your post.

Do I need to do anything for the intel premier support from our side?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

WRT Intel Premier Support, when the serial number was registered, an account on Premier Support should have been created, automatically.  Let me know via private message if you have any problems logging in.

0 Kudos
A_K_3
Beginner

MrAnderson (Intel) wrote:

WRT Intel Premier Support, when the serial number was registered, an account on Premier Support should have been created, automatically.  Let me know via private message if you have any problems logging in.

I have upgraded to 2016 update 3 and will be working with premium support through systems group on our side. I have not seen as many crashes with 2016 upgrade in the small amount of time I have used it for profiling.

0 Kudos