Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

[Vtune] Cannot run vtune as root if the program is not root

alexcp
Beginner

I am currently facing 2 issues.

1 - I cannot profile a running program is the process uid has a mismatch with the user that starts vtune, vtune is quite clear about that, but due to security reasons the binary that I need to profile has some specifics on its permissions that makes profiling using its user complicated.

2 - I have a root process that spawns child non-root processes, which makes the follow child processes apparently not see them due to this user mismatch.

Is there any way to skip this validation?

Why is there such a limitation?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel communities.

VTune Profiler requires administrator or root privileges for performing specific types of analyses. On Windows* OS, this means starting VTune Profiler as Administrator, and on Linux* systems, this requires sudo privileges.

It is recommended to only start VTune Profiler with elevated privileges if a specific analysis requires these privileges. Avoid staying in elevated mode for viewing collected results.

Make sure to run both VTune and your application with same privileges ( Either as normal user or Root user).

Please refer the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/vtune-profiler/user-guide/2023-0/security-best-practices.html

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with similar issue. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. Could you please give an update?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

We assume that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks

0 Kudos