Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Vtune amplxe-gui freezes, asks to send report/terminate

Sourish_B_
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to profile a Fortran program with the vtune amplifier. I created a report using 

amplxe-cl -collect general-exploration -result-dir vtune_results_smaller exec_name exec_001.rc

where 'exec_001.rc' is a config file read by exec_name. The report collection seemed to go fine, but when I tried to view the results using 

amplxe-gui vtune_results_smaller

The GUI froze, gave me a message about VTune Amplifier not responding because it was waiting for an internal operation to finish, and asked me whether I wanted to send a report, terminate the application, or continue waiting. I waited for ~10 minutes, but still the GUI was stuck at 'Loading data, please wait...'. The exec_name itself ran for only 48 seconds, so I doubt that it produced a report that was too large for VTune. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Sourish

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

First at all, ensure if you use latest VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2015 U4.

In order to distinguish if the problem occurred during post-analyzing or opening the result, you can try -

1. amplxe-cl -finalize -search-dir=project-dir -r vtune_results_smaller ; relocate all symbol info, project-dir or its sub-directories have associated modules with symbol info.

2. amplxe-cl -report summary -r vtune_results_smaller

-AND-

amplxe-cl report hw-events - r vtune_results_smaller.

3. amplxe-gui vtune_results_smaller

P.S. Is it possible that you can attach zipped result dir, or send me via private message?

Another way, you can try to use option "-d 10" to collect less samples to reproduce this problem.

0 Kudos
Sourish_B_
Beginner

Dear Peter,

I will be happy to send you the zipped result folder (vtune_results_smaller) in a private message. However, I thought of one thing which I should have mentioned before. I am running the executable (amplxe-cl -collect general-information) on a server where I normally run my code. However, the bandwidth between the server and my laptop is not good enough to run amplxe-gui on the server and have it display stuff on my laptop. Therefore, I transferred the results dir from the server to my laptop, and ran amplxe-gui on my laptop. Is this kosher? As in, can I 'collect' on one machine, and use amplxe-gui on another machine to view the results?

I should also say that if I collect hotspots, I don't have any trouble, i.e., I can use amplxe-gui on my laptop to view the results. Only 'general-information' causes the GUI to freeze.

Thanks,

Sourish 

0 Kudos
Sourish_B_
Beginner

Dear Peter,

In your suggested command line

amplxe-cl -finalize -search-dir=project-dir -r vtune_results_smaller 

what is 'project-dir'? Is it an existing folder, or is amplxe-cl going to create it? Is it the folder in which the executable is located? Something else?

Thanks,

Sourish

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

$project-dir means, your project directory where you stores source, executable, and source - Yes, it is an existing folder.

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Sourish,

It is OK to view results on one system whether they were collected and finalized on another one.

For the result which leads to GUI hang, can you please run the following commands in command line:

> amplxe-cl -r <result dir> -R summary

and

> amplxe-cl -r <result dir> -R hw-events

Can it provide results in a meaningful time?

If one of them hangs, please run the same amplxe-feedback command I sent you in a private message and send me hang.zip file. I still don't have stack info - it is missing in reports probably because of some security restrictions on your system.

Can you copy and open this result on Windows system?

Can I also ask you to upgrade to VTune 2015 XE update 4 and try again?

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Somethings have to be clarified:
1. Result was generated by VTune 2015 U1, and analyzed in VTune 2015 U4
2. There was no problem if opened the result by using 2015 U4 for Windows*
3. This problem can be reproduced if work on 2015 U4 on Linux* (Reproducible)
4. "amplxe-cl -R summary -r vtune_results_smaller" & "amplxe-cl -R hw-events -r vtune_results_smaller" can work on both Linux* and Windows*.  Is it GUI issue only?

I have reported this to developer, will be back soon.

0 Kudos
Sourish_B_
Beginner

Yes, this is a GUI issue only. 'amplxe-cl -R summary' and 'amplxe-cl -R hw-events' both work, with VTune 2015 U4 on Linux.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

This problem has been fixed in 2016 Beta version, I used this version to open result smoothly.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Good news. 2016 gold release is ready today:-)

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I tried VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2016 for Linux* to open result - the problem has gone.

0 Kudos
Sourish_B_
Beginner

Yes, the problem is gone with VTune 2016, thanks!

0 Kudos