Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Vtune on AMD CPU's possible?

andy2222
Beginner
Does Vtune also work on AMD CPU's?
I just tryed a "quick perf. wizard" -> sampling (no app)
It starts sampling and if i hit stop it does some collect and than i get a message.
"an error occured during drill-down cause of error can not be determinated"??
I want to profile/analyse a dshow filter, so i cant direct start an app. I use graphedit and than set the grapn and hit play. I just need the datas for the dshow filter .dll/.ax
I would like a pipeline analysis and check/reorder my inline assembler lines for max performance. But if i cant sample...?
I also tryed to setup a sampling project and selectet my filter.ax file as point of intrest. The programm sample for 20sec and than i get this error
"Assertion failed
Programm ....inVtuneEnv.exe
Source ...src... bsana.cpp
Line 766
Expression DWreturn == 0"
Any tips?

Message Edited by Andy2222 on 06-09-2004 01:45 AM

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

As event based sampling isn't supported for AMD CPU's, the detail of your analysis would be limited. If you are trying to do time based sampling of all events on your system, that may not be appropriate to your goal. If I understand you, that is not an AMD specific problem.

If it is appropriate to your application, you could embed your asm() in C code, compile with debug symbols, and profile it as a C application. If you know already where the time is spent, this may not add much to your knowledge. Even with event based sampling on an Intel processor, you might not be able to address directly the question of finding out whether performance is affected by re-ordering asm instructions.

If you have faults and assertion failures when using Vtune in a non processor dependent way, using a current version of Vtune, you should submit your case through yourpremier.intel.com account.

0 Kudos
m_kozlov
Beginner

I have tried to perform the same test (Quick analysis)on two computers: one Intel based and other AMD based. Vtune works fine on Intel computer however I have got theerror (An error occured during drill-down)on AMD computer.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
The list of supported processors in contained in the Release Notes, available from the Help menu in the VTune analyzer. Only genuine Intel processors are supported.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

I'm just wondering how many forum users have used the VTune analyzer on non-genuine Intel processors? If so, what parts of the analyzer did you use and how?

Is this something that Intel should enable?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
An important part of our work has been to analyze hot spots, comparing performance between AMD and Intel processors, looking for ways to improve on deficits. In versions of Vtune where it was supported, this was done with TBS. At present, this remains easiest to accomplish with those versions of the compiler where gprof is supported, but ability to examine clock ticks and events loop by loop is important.
0 Kudos