Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Vtune & reports

emoreno
Beginner
Hi all.
In the last Gelato Meeting (developers of Itanium2), there was a presentation of the features of Vtune, particularly to view Intel C++ compiler reports inside vtune.

I didn't remeber very well, it's necesary to compile using -mGLOB.... and to run Vtune with the variable VT_ENABLE_.....=T or something like that, but I can't find this info in any documentation...

Any help?

Thanks all.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi emoreno!

Right you are! Looks like somebody slipped up. This is a public preview, but it should have been documented. :-( We are working to fix that. In the meantime, here is the magic combination:

On the Itanium processorhost system:
1. Compile application with symbols and opt report (Intel C/C++ Compiler 9.0.026 or greater), e.g. (example is split over several lines for clarify):
icc -g -opt_report opt_report_file filename
[-opt_report_phase [ecg_swp,hlo,]]
-mGLOB_opt_report_for_vtune=T
2. Run the VTune analyzer Remote Agent, e.g.: /opt/intel/vtune/bin/vtserver

On the IA32 Linux* analysis system:
1. Enable VTune analyzer Reports, e.g.:
export VT_ENABLE_OPTIMIZATION_REPORT=ON
2. Start VTune analyzer 8.0 GUI, e.g.: /opt/intel/vtune/bin/vtlec
3. Configure GUI to remotely run and analyze Itanium application
4. Copy Binary, Source, and Optimization Reports to Local System
5. Locate Hotspot
6. Click Optimization Report button
7. Enter path to file in dialog box

Of course, we would welcome any feedback on this feature, but would prefer it if you could submit it at Intel Premier Support for tracking purposes.

Regards,

Message Edited by DaveA on 10-19-2005 05:37 PM

0 Kudos
jeffrey-gallagher
GREAT posting Dave.
:smileyvery-happy:
0 Kudos
tangouniform
Beginner
I am trying to use the optimization report and comimg up short. Our developement envirenment consists of a number of 32 core altix itanium 2s running SELand dual quad core xeon workstations running RHEL. I can get Vtune running almost perfectly on bothexcept for the optimization report.
I compile the gsexamples (mainly 4c) eith our intel 10.1.17 compiler using the following command:
icc -g -O3 -mtune=itanium2-p9000 -inline-level=0 -opt-report 3 -opt-report-file gsexample4c.opt -mGLOB_opt_report_for vtune=T gsexample4c.c -o gsexample4c
It compiles and runs fine. I am able to RDC from the itanium to the xeon. I get all the information to pinpoint hotspots in the code, but when I click the optimization report, I get nothing. It acts as if the buttons is just there for looks, there is no error on the terminal I used to start the analyzer or in the error log.
Has anyone had this experience? I need to move forward with this exercise as we are having to defend the itaniums capabilities. Our code runs much faster on the xeon box as opposed to the xeons, however the scenarios our simultion runs would require many more xeon processors to support our needs. I know that the itaniums are fast enough to support our needs if we could only modify our code to utilize theprocessors strengths.
Thanks

0 Kudos
magckoffers
Beginner
I am having the same problem with vtune. I am using Centos 5 on an x86_64 machine. I
export VT_ENABLE_OPTIMIZATION_REPORT=ON.
vtune does nothing when I click on the Optimization Report Button from the source view after I've selected my hotspot. Is there more I need to do to make vtune use this feature?

0 Kudos
magckoffers
Beginner
I am having trouble with getting this to work on CentOs 5. I am following the instructions to the letter and using the sample program, but when I click on the Optimization Report button, nothing happens. No dialog, no error, no reaction at all that I can see.
Am I missing something about how to use this feature?

0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - tangouniform
I am trying to use the optimization report and comimg up short. Our developement envirenment consists of a number of 32 core altix itanium 2s running SELand dual quad core xeon workstations running RHEL. I can get Vtune running almost perfectly on bothexcept for the optimization report.
I compile the gsexamples (mainly 4c) eith our intel 10.1.17 compiler using the following command:
icc -g -O3 -mtune=itanium2-p9000 -inline-level=0 -opt-report 3 -opt-report-file gsexample4c.opt -mGLOB_opt_report_for vtune=T gsexample4c.c -o gsexample4c
It compiles and runs fine. I am able to RDC from the itanium to the xeon. I get all the information to pinpoint hotspots in the code, but when I click the optimization report, I get nothing. It acts as if the buttons is just there for looks, there is no error on the terminal I used to start the analyzer or in the error log.
Has anyone had this experience? I need to move forward with this exercise as we are having to defend the itaniums capabilities. Our code runs much faster on the xeon box as opposed to the xeons, however the scenarios our simultion runs would require many more xeon processors to support our needs. I know that the itaniums are fast enough to support our needs if we could only modify our code to utilize theprocessors strengths.
Thanks

Hi,

Please, reopen Premier Support issue you've created a while ago regarding this problem. As far as I see, you were not quite active in answering the requests from the support engineer and he closed the issue. Once reopened, the problem will be investigated further.
Thanks.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - magckoffers
I am having trouble with getting this to work on CentOs 5. I am following the instructions to the letter and using the sample program, but when I click on the Optimization Report button, nothing happens. No dialog, no error, no reaction at all that I can see.
Am I missing something about how to use this feature?

We are trying to reinforce investigation of this problem. The best way to let VTune developers know the details is using Premier Support. It may require some system or application details, so it's better to use secure channel of communication.
0 Kudos