Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Vtune stuck in Finalizing Results

SD__FR
Beginner

Every one of my captures lead to Vtune being stuck during the Finalizing Result phase.

I see the 'data collection is completed successfully' message and the progress bar gets stuck. There's not specific pattern where it gets stuck, it could be while reading the trace file or a on a dll used by the program. I tried to leaving the process running for hours to see if it would eventually finish, no luck.

To get pass this I usually have to kill VTune from the task manager; re-open VTune and load the capture on which it crashed. At which point the resolution just takes a few seconds and I'm able to see navigate my capture normally.

This happens whether I use Vtune as a stand alone or withing Visual Studio (which i stopped doing since this process usually meant my instance of VS would need to be killed as well).

I'm on Windows 10 1809 (17763.1158)

and using Vtune 2020 (build 605129)

I have been plagued with this behavior for a while and on various versions of Vtune. I have to carefully pick a version from which I can apply the workaround described above, for example, I tried 2020 patch 1 and I'm not able to kill the Vtune instance and resume from it, therefore I had to revert to the version I'm currently using.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Could you provide more details:
 - VTune finalization output;
 - VTune process dump and logs:
     When VTune gets stuck, find PID of the vtune-backend.exe process (in Task Manager) and run the following command from directory you're allowed to write files:
     <vtune_install_directory/bin64/>amplxe-feedback.exe -create-bug-report=hang -no-system-info -dump-stack=<vtune-backend.exe PID>
      It should create hang.zip archive in the working directory - send us this archive. (You can explore content of the archive and remove everything you treat as sensitive data).

If you build your application with the /DEBUG:FASTLINK option, rebuilding it with /DEBUG:FULL might help.

0 Kudos
SD__FR
Beginner

Hi Denis,

Please find the requested files attached.

Thanks,

Romain.

0 Kudos
SD__FR
Beginner

Also, we're not linking with /DEBUG:FASTLINK, however i went to specified /DEBUG:FULL to see if that helped and it didn't.

Romain.

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

SD, FR wrote:

Please find the requested files attached.

I don't see attached files. Can you re-attach?

Thanks,

Denis.

0 Kudos
SD__FR
Beginner

Sorry, I had issues uploading with Chrome... Should be there now.

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you.
Is it reproducible if you create a new project in VTune stand-alone GUI?
 - run a stand-alone version of VTune (vtune-gui.exe);
 - create a new project: Menu -> New -> Project …
 - configure and run analysis from the new project.

0 Kudos
SD__FR
Beginner

Denis,

Creating a stand alone project seems to be working just fine.

At least I have a workaround that is better than killing vtune and restarting it!

Romain.

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Great!  This issue with VS integration will be fixed in next VTune updates.

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Has this issue been resolved?Could you please give us an update?

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

We are closing this case assuming your issue is resolved. Please feel free to raise a new thread in case of further issues.

0 Kudos