Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Vtune version 9.1 issues on Fedora 8

Gautham_C_Intel
Employee

I recently installed Vtune 9.1 release on a system running Fedora 8 kernel 2.6.23.1.42-fc8. The default driver that comes with the package was installed. I am unable to collect any samples and i noticed that the driver emits this warning message below

VSD: [Warning] dsa_mmap: 1 != 2 = num_dsa_open

Is this a known issue ?. I cannot collect any samples even if i specify instructions executed and set sampling to 1000 and run for several minutes. I suspect this is a driver issue of some sort that is preventing data collection. I tried using ecplise GUI and command line but the same issue persists.

PS - I am not running a modified kernel just the default released fedora 8 kernel.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
asenjo
Innovator

I also installed vtune 9.1 in Fedora 9. Is the fourth installation I have done of vtune in four different machines with different linux versions. I've never made the precompiled driver to work. So I have always compiled my driver for the specific kernel. I certainly recommend you to do the same. These are my indications:

Diapositiva 3 .O {font-size:149%;}

• Go to the installation directory and then vdk sources
  • By default: /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src
  • Read vdk/src/doc/HOWTO-BUILD-VTUNE-DRIVER
  • runing kernel and kernel_devel MUST match
  • uname r should contain EXTRAVERSION variable in the Makefile at /usr/src/linux-`uname r`
  • If not, update this Makefile variable and do:
make mrproper
cp /boot/config-`uname r` .config
make oldconfig
make prepare
  • Once the configuration completes, make sure that UTS_RELEASE in/usr/src/linux-`uname -r`/include/linux/version.h or in/usr/src/linux-`uname -r`/include/linux/utsrelease.h matches `uname -r`.
  • Then, in vdk/src do
./build-driver; ./insmod-vtune
./install-boot-script --install to install /etc/init.d/vtune which loads the driver at boot time

Regards,

0 Kudos
Ravi_V_Intel
Employee

Just a quick note that sometimes the Makefile may not be in /usr/src but may actually be in a sub-directory.

In my FC9 installation, for example, it is actually in /usr/src/kernels/2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 directory.

Also, for most most every OS version and Kernel version not listed in http://www3.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/239147.htm, you will likely need to rebuild the driver from scratch (this is relatively painless if you have the necessary Linux headers, etc).

0 Kudos
asenjo
Innovator

Right. In those case, what I do is a softlink to make the kernel sources directly available at /usr/src. It works to me.

For instance in my redhat9 I have /usr/src/linux-2-6.25.14-108.fc9.i686 --> /usr/src/kernels/2-6.25-14.fc9.i686.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

gautham:

First, the warning message does not indicate a failure to collect samples. It does indicate that the driver shared area was already opened by the calling process (namely, the VTune analyzer) and warns on attempts to open it again.

Second, verify the correct loading of the sampling driver by:

1. as 'root', execute 'lsmod | grep vtune' - you should see 'vtune_drv' loaded
  2. execute 'ls -l /dev/vt*' and verify that there are three devices with root and 'vtune' ownership
  3. execute '/opt/intel/vtune/bin/vtl query -c sampling' - you should see a list of processor events, after a brief help message

If any of these fail, try unloading (rmmod-vtune) and reloading (insmod-vtune) the driver.

Regards,

Mr.Anderson

0 Kudos