Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Where can we find all the hardware events for a specific microarchitecture?

sun_s_
Beginner

Recently,I've been using Vtune to get each cache level miss ratio on different platforms.

However, the hardware events that we used to calculate the miss ratio varies on different platform.

For instance, I have 3 types of machines: core , sandybridge and Ivybridge.

And some of the linux system can just use command line to start up the vtune.

Therefore , I'm wodering is there any commands of Vtune for users to check the hardware events that we can use on this machine?

Or are there any Intel mannual tell something about this?

By the way, in another post I see @Shannon Cepeda (Intel) gave following formulas to calculate the miss ratio. But I don't understand why Demand Data L1 Miss Rate cannot calculate.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Demand Data L1 Miss Rate => cannot calculate.

Demand Data L2 Miss Rate => 
(sum of all types of L2 demand data misses) / (sum of L2 demanded data requests) => 
(MEM_LOAD_UOPS_RETIRED.LLC_HIT_PS + MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HIT_PS + MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HITM_PS + MEM_LOAD_UOPS_MISC_RETIRED.LLC_MISS_PS) / (L2_RQSTS.ALL_DEMAND_DATA_RD)

Demand Data L3 Miss Rate => 
L3 demand data misses / (sum of all types of demand data L3 requests) => 
MEM_LOAD_UOPS_MISC_RETIRED.LLC_MISS_PS / (MEM_LOAD_UOPS_RETIRED.LLC_HIT_PS + MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HIT_PS + MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HITM_PS + MEM_LOAD_UOPS_MISC_RETIRED.LLC_MISS_PS)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi sun:

The Intel® Software Developer Manual has an Optimization volume or section that describes all the events for each of the different microarchitectures.

If you use the VTune Amplifier XE to create a "custom" hardware analysis type, you will also see all the events available for the system you are running on.

Finally, you can use the "amplxe-runss -event-list" command to list all the events of the current processor.

0 Kudos
sun_s_
Beginner

MrAnderson (Intel) wrote:

Hi sun:

The Intel® Software Developer Manual has an Optimization volume or section that describes all the events for each of the different microarchitectures.

If you use the VTune Amplifier XE to create a "custom" hardware analysis type, you will also see all the events available for the system you are running on.

Finally, you can use the "amplxe-runss -event-list" command to list all the events of the current processor.

@MrAnderson (Intel) I've found all the hardware events on the platform of Intel Xeon Core 2 under your help!

I've checked the Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Optimization Reference Manual and it says: " L2 Cache Miss Rate: L2_LINES_IN.SELF.ANY / INST_RETIRED.ANY". 

But I think the miss ratio of L2 should be calculated using the formula :

Demand Data L2 Miss Rate => 
(sum of all types of L2 demand data misses) / (sum of L2 demanded data requests) => 
(MEM_LOAD_UOPS_RETIRED.LLC_HIT_PS + MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HIT_PS + MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.XSNP_HITM_PS + MEM_LOAD_UOPS_MISC_RETIRED.LLC_MISS_PS) / (L2_RQSTS.ALL_DEMAND_DATA_RD)

There are some hardware events like: L2_RQSTS.SELF.ANY.MESI ; L2_RQSTS.SELF.ANY.I_STATE ; L2_RQSTS.SELF.ANY.S_STATE;

L2_RQSTS.SELF.ANY.E_STATE; L2_RQSTS.SELF.ANY.M_STATE;

I know the hardware events name varies depending on the platform.However, I cannot find the explainations of these hardware events name in the documentation of vtune.

And There are some hardware events like: L2_RQSTS.SELF.ANY.MESI ; L2_RQSTS.SELF.ANY.I_STATE ; L2_RQSTS.SELF.ANY.S_STATE;

L2_RQSTS.SELF.ANY.E_STATE; L2_RQSTS.SELF.ANY.M_STATE;

I don't know what events to choose to calculate the events. 

Is there any documentation to describe that? Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos