Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

Where do I type "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=..." so I can use VTPause/VTResume?

zgzg2020
Beginner
Hi,
I want to measure the performance Speedup to come changes I have done to my program. I want a simple but a reliable method. I have just found VTPause/VTResume, and thought they will be up for the job.
I am following this to setup up my program. However, I couldn't understand where exactly do I type in
"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:<install-dir>/gcc-3.2/lib32:<install-dir>/analyzer/bin:<install-dir>/shared/bin". I am using Visual Studio to compile my project.
I have looked everwhere on the net, including MSDN, to find where to type in "exported" libraries...etc. But, I couldn't find anything...
Please help.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
You are working on Visual Studio* but LD_LIBRARY_PATH is for Linux*, I got confused. You only need tocompile code withVTune Analyzer include files and link its library files. Please refer to old article - http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/21/93/219345_sampling_vtune.pdf, page 8.

Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zgzg2020
Beginner
Quoting - zgzg2020
Hi,
I want to measure the performance Speedup to come changes I have done to my program. I want a simple but a reliable method. I have just found VTPause/VTResume, and thought they will be up for the job.
I am following this to setup up my program. However, I couldn't understand where exactly do I type in
"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:<install-dir>/gcc-3.2/lib32:<install-dir>/analyzer/bin:<install-dir>/shared/bin". I am using Visual Studio to compile my project.
I have looked everwhere on the net, including MSDN, to find where to type in "exported" libraries...etc. But, I couldn't find anything...
Please help.

I'm not sure, but I think that that line is not a necessary one. After getting frustrated for not finding info on how to that line into Visual Studio, I decided to run sampling without entering that line. And, it worked. I created a small project:

[cpp]void main()
{
	VTPause();
	A crp1, crp2;
	for( long int i = 0; i < 999999; i++ )
		dCrp();
	VTResume();
	dNoResume();
}[/cpp]

And, the sampling was taken only for the dNoResume() function and not for the dCrp() function. So, I figure that means it worked.
0 Kudos
zgzg2020
Beginner
Quoting - zgzg2020

I'm not sure, but I think that that line is not a necessary one. After getting frustrated for not finding info on how to that line into Visual Studio, I decided to run sampling without entering that line. And, it worked. I created a small project:

[cpp]void main()
{
VTPause();
A crp1, crp2;
for( long int i = 0; i < 999999; i++ )
dCrp();
VTResume();
dNoResume();
}[/cpp]

And, the sampling was taken only for the dNoResume() function and not for the dCrp() function. So, I figure that means it worked.

I forgot to mention that I included the Vtune library file into the additional liked libraries.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
You are working on Visual Studio* but LD_LIBRARY_PATH is for Linux*, I got confused. You only need tocompile code withVTune Analyzer include files and link its library files. Please refer to old article - http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/21/93/219345_sampling_vtune.pdf, page 8.

Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
zgzg2020
Beginner

Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter

It helped a lot! Thanx!

I'm using windows, by the way.
0 Kudos