Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Win 7, Vtune 2017 update 3 ... cannot do first hot spot ... "serious problem"

CSlat2
Beginner

I have created a simple C++ app called timeWaster. Built it using MSVC  19. This app runs fine in a command window created by Parallel Studio. (compiled using cl -EHsc -Zi timeWaster.cpp)

Sample run:

D:\Users\...\VTune\timeWaster>timeWaster64.exe

a=3.21061e+006

primeCnt=348844

11.2066  seconds

Done

Launch Vtune with admin rights.

Go to configure, select “Launch Application”, browse to the timeWaster64.exe, set working dir to same.

Toggle over to the run screen, “Basic Hotspots” selected, everything set to default. Hit start …

Up pops a command window … that stays empty (this window sticks around till killed with task master, timeWaster process still running 0% cpu).

Then within seconds of hitting start:

Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2017 has faced a serious problem

1/11/2018 6:21:45 AM  Cannot open data: Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2017 has faced a serious problem.

Error 0x40000024 (No data) -- No data is collected. Possible reasons:

- Workload is too small. No samples are collected.

- The application environment is not specified correctly.

See the Troubleshooting help topic for more details. 

Trouble shooting area of of no help so I am here.

So where do I start tracking this down? I have already considered dll dependencies and pruned that list down to a minimum.

0 Kudos
46 Replies
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

Please reply ASAP,  am waiting for any suggestion.

Thanks,

venkatesh. 

0 Kudos
PAVEL_G_Intel
Employee

It's very interesting. I thought that you have a problem with PMU settings in your KVM. But looks like it's ok.

1) Could you get command line from gui for running analysis?
2) Let's run collection without sep driver. Please unload it and try to start collection. It will use perf for hardware events collection

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi ok..

I will try.. wil get back in few minutes.

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

{code}

root@ubuntu:~/target_drivers/sepdk/src# ./rmmod-sep

Removing sep4_1 driver from the kernel ... done.
Deleting /dev/sep4_1 devices ... done.
The sep4_1 driver has been successfully unloaded.
Removing vtsspp driver from the kernel ... done.
The vtsspp driver has been successfully unloaded.
Removing socperf2_0 driver from the kernel ... done.
Deleting /dev/socperf2_0 devices ... done.
The socperf2_0 driver has been successfully unloaded.
No driver needs PMU arbitration anymore: the PAX service can be safely removed.
Attempting to stop PAX service ...
Removing pax driver from the kernel ... done.
Deleting previously created /dev/pax device ... done.
The pax driver has been successfully unloaded.
PAX service has been stopped.
root@iubuntu:~/target_drivers/sepdk/src# amplxe-cl -target-tmp-dir=/root/fp-vtune -collect advanced-hotspots -knob collection-detail=stack-sampling -target-process=*process_name* -r=1st-run-f -target-tmp-dir=/root/fp-vtune -data-limit=2048
amplxe: Error: Cannot enable Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (sep*/sepdrv*). Check that the driver is running and the driver group is in the current user group list. See "Building and Managing the Sampling Driver" help topic for further details.
amplxe: Error: Cannot enable advanced capabilities for Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (vtss/vtsspp). Check that the driver is running and the driver group is in the current user group list. See "Building and Managing the Sampling Driver" help topic for further details.
root@it2-17-sfcgw-ubuntu:~/target_drivers/sepdk/src#

{code}

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

its asking for sampling drivers , without that we are notr able to run advanced hot spots or hardware events.

i tried to run via "driverless perf option" => but not sure what's wrong , it is not running.

we had installed for this purpose.

-ubuntu:~/target_drivers/sepdk/src# perf -v
perf version 4.13.13
-ubuntu:~/target_drivers/sepdk/src#

Thanks,

Venkatesh. 

0 Kudos
PAVEL_G_Intel
Employee

Without  -knob collection-detail=stack-sampling  you will be able to collect.

According to previous information. I think you will not able to use sep due to errors on Writing/Reading msr's. 
With perf-based collection it's impossible to collect stacks. 

For what reason you need Event Based sampling with stacks? Basic hotspots provide the stacks based on another mechanism.

- Pavel

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

Please see below.

ubuntu:~/target_drivers/sepdk/src# amplxe-cl -target-tmp-dir=/root/fp-vtune -collect advanced-hotspots  -target-process=process_name -r=1st-run-f -target-tmp-dir=/root/fp-vtune -data-limit=2048
amplxe: Error: Cannot enable Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (sep*/sepdrv*). Check that the driver is running and the driver group is in the current user group list. See "Building and Managing the Sampling Driver" help topic for further details.
amplxe: Error: Cannot enable advanced capabilities for Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (vtss/vtsspp). Check that the driver is running and the driver group is in the current user group list. See "Building and Managing the Sampling Driver" help topic for further details.
ubuntu:~/target_drivers/sepdk/src#

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

0 Kudos
PAVEL_G_Intel
Employee

What is output of <VTune Amplifier install path>/bin64/amplxe-perf list ?

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

Please find the command output.

Thanks,

venkatesh.

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks,

venkatesh.

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks,

venkatesh.

0 Kudos
PAVEL_G_Intel
Employee

I recommend you to download new version of VTune Amplifier...

Last try. Do this command also failed with the output?
amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -- find /tmp

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

ubuntu:~/vtune_amplifier_2018_update3# amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -target-process=fastpath  -- find /tmp
amplxe: Warning: To profile kernel modules during the session, make sure they are available in the /lib/modules/kernel_version/ location.
amplxe: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter from another console window: amplxe-cl -r /root/vtune_amplifier_2018_update3/r000ah -command stop.
^Camplxe: Collection detached.
amplxe: Collection stopped.
amplxe: Using result path `/root/vtune_amplifier_2018_update3/r000ah'
amplxe: Executing actions 20 % Resolving information for `libxylog.so'
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/opt/nec/vcpe/lib64/libxylog.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 20 % Resolving information for `vmlinux'
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for the Linux kernel. Source-level analysis will not be possible. Function-level analysis will be limited to kernel symbol tables. See the Enabling Linux Kernel Analysis topic in the product online help for instructions.
amplxe: Executing actions 21 % Resolving information for `libstdc++.so.6.0.21'
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.21'.
amplxe: Executing actions 22 % Resolving information for `kvm.ko'
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/lib/modules/4.13.0-26-generic/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm.ko'.
amplxe: Executing actions 75 % Generating a report
Collection and Platform Info
----------------------------
Parameter                 r000ah                                                                                                                                                                              
------------------------  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Application Command Line  find                                                                                                                                                                                
Operating System          4.13.0-26-generic NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="16.04.3 LTS (Xenial Xerus)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS"
VERSION_ID="16.04"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
VERSION_CODENAME=xenial
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial
Computer Name             it2-17-sfcgw-ubuntu                                                                                                                                                                 
Result Size               46467703                                                                                                                                                                            
Collection start time     16:05:38 19/06/2018 UTC                                                                                                                                                             
Collection stop time      16:05:51 19/06/2018 UTC                                                                                                                                                             
Collector Type            Driverless Perf system-wide sampling                                                                                                                                                

CPU
---
Parameter          r000ah
-----------------  ------------------------------------------------------
Name               Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5/E7 v3 Processor code named Haswell
Frequency          2299998030
Logical CPU Count  6

Summary
-------
Elapsed Time:             12.607
Paused Time:              0.0
CPU Time:                 34.963
Average CPU Utilization:  2.914
CPI Rate:                 0.594

Event summary
-------------
Hardware Event Type                 Hardware Event Count:Self  Hardware Event Sample Count:Self  Events Per Sample
----------------------------------  -------------------------  --------------------------------  -----------------
CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD                           79980200000                             34774  2300000
CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF_TSC                          80414900000                             34963  2300000
INST_RETIRED.ANY                                 134651200000                             58544  2300000
CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF_XCLK                          3494004817                             34939  100003
CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.ONE_THREAD_ACTIVE                 1726851804                             17268  100003
amplxe: Executing actions 100 % done
-ubuntu:~/vtune_amplifier_2018_update3#

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

I think this looks ok with this..

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Am trying to get hardware event analysis, my xsrever is stopping..

am checking...

Thanks,

VEnkatesh.

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

One issue i am observing is "Hardware event analysis"  option not shown in gui..

Any reason ?

Thanks,

Venkatesh. 

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

If i run amplex-gui , am not seeing any "hardware events anlayisi option in vtune gui ".

Please guide me how to get that.

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

Please some one help, Please we need to do complete this task.

issues:

=====

1. hardware vents option not coming.

2. my xserver crashing once i start and stop  amplxe-gui.

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

0 Kudos
PAVEL_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please read documentation about event based sampling:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-hardware-event-based-sampling-collection

There is not hardware events option - it's hided from user by analysis types.

0 Kudos
bsv__venki
Beginner

Hi,

2. my xserver crashing once i start and stop  amplxe-gui.

or

once i  import the result from the command line.

Any suggestions.

Please suggest, atelast we can analyse some thing using vtune...

otherwise this tool is not @ all useful for us.

Please sugeest some help for issues faced, so that we can use vtune.

Am  trying to get some results from past 15 days, but because of so may issues, i was not able to get result.

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

0 Kudos