Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Windows 10 1803: Installing and starting VTSS++ driver...FAILED

Doe__Alex
Beginner

I get "Installing and starting VTSS++ driver...FAILED" when running "./amplxe-sepreg.exe -i" from admin command prompt. How can this be solved? Or is Amplifier not yet compatible with the latest Windows 10 upgrade?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

Windows 10 1803 build support by VTSS driver will be avilable in future versions of VTune Amplifier, we will keep you updated. Software (Pin-based) analysis with stacks (ex.: Hotspots, Concurrency, Locks & Waits) can be used till that moment.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Kilner__Joe
Beginner

Hi,

Is there any timeline for when support will be made available?

0 Kudos
jamie_johnson
Beginner

An ETA on an updated vtss.sys driver supporting Windows 10 1803 would be much appreciated. Alternatively if Intel Parallel Studio XE 19 Beta includes support I can give that a try.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Oliver_K_1
Beginner

Hi,

I do have the same problem. Is there any news on that? Did somebody try XE19 Beta? Is there a workaround?

Regards, Oliver

0 Kudos
Gris__Guillaume
Beginner

Hi,

Any update on this issue ?

Regards, Guillaume

0 Kudos
YLeon
Beginner

Hi,

I do have the same problem after win10 upgrading to 1803.

0 Kudos
brandt__joern
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same problem with XE2018 and XE2019Beta.

It's a shame for intel that they can't repair this within more than half a year.

This bug makes vtune amplifier absolutely useless for me.

When will intel repair this bug?

Regards, Joern

0 Kudos
Sidney_J_
Beginner

The update came out in April and still no support for it. Same with the RS3 which left VTune broken for months. Windows 10 doesn't make it easy to not upgrade, even on the slowest setting accessible to me. Now, I don't expect day one support, but come on, VTune is $899/year, and for a good 5+ months now it has been useless to me. So much so, that I have opted to vote with my wallet and decide not renew my license. Seems like Intel doesn't really care? Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative that actually works?

0 Kudos
Bento__Fabio
Beginner

Same problem here at our company we are using Windows 10 R4 1803 as developer machines.

We bought the licence for profiling our applications but unfortunately due to this problem we can't use "Advanced Hotspots" analysis which would be very useful to check call counts.

Is there is any workaround or we must wait for the Update 4?

0 Kudos
manukian__georgii

I experiencing the same problem. Windows 10 1803 VTSS driver is not working. 

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

Below is compatibility table b/w various MS Windows 10 RS* versions and existing VTune Amplifier releases. Hope it helps:

• Windows 10 RS1 - VTune Amplifier 2018 Initial Release and newer
  • Windows 10 RS2 - VTune Amplifier 2018 Update 2 and newer
  • Windows 10 RS3 - VTune Amplifier 2018 Update 3 and newer
  • Windows 10 RS4 - VTune Amplifier 2019 Initial Release and newer

We also recommend monitoring updates of this page: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-vtune-amplifier-impact-of-recent-os-security-updates

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
fitzgerald__connor

I am just also adding that I am still having problems with the vtss++ driver on Windows 10 1803 (OS Build 17134.285) even with VTune fully updated. I'm just on the regular version of windows microsoft is putting out, I'm not on the insider build at all.

0 Kudos
Sidney_J_
Beginner

Thanks for the update. Are there any plans to provide more timely updates to VTune in the future? RS5 is around the corner, slated to be released in October, which means there is a chance that VTune 2019 is useful for a month only before becoming completely useless for what? Another 6 months?

Like I said before, I don't expect day one support and I have no idea what goes into those sampling drivers and what changes are required to make it work. But I do know that I don't hear anything from Intel about any timelines and it's just nothing for months and that is AFTER paying a hefty price for a product that half of the time just isn't compatible with my OS. A bit of clarity into the process would be nice, because I'm not willing to buy another VTune license with the vague hope that it will work for longer than a month this time.

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

fitzgerald, connor wrote:

I am just also adding that I am still having problems with the vtss++ driver on Windows 10 1803 (OS Build 17134.285) even with VTune fully updated. I'm just on the regular version of windows microsoft is putting out, I'm not on the insider build at all.

Can you please specify VTune 2019 build version you use on Windows 10 1803?

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

Hello,

Sidney J. wrote:

Thanks for the update. Are there any plans to provide more timely updates to VTune in the future? RS5 is around the corner, slated to be released in October, which means there is a chance that VTune 2019 is useful for a month only before becoming completely useless for what? Another 6 months?

Like I said before, I don't expect day one support and I have no idea what goes into those sampling drivers and what changes are required to make it work. But I do know that I don't hear anything from Intel about any timelines and it's just nothing for months and that is AFTER paying a hefty price for a product that half of the time just isn't compatible with my OS. A bit of clarity into the process would be nice, because I'm not willing to buy another VTune license with the vague hope that it will work for longer than a month this time.

We currently work on RS5 support in vtss driver for future VTune Amplifier 2019 Update 1 release. The driver depends on certain OS kernel capabilities being changed with each RS* update and to claim support we perform verification on final RTM-claimed build from MSFT. RS4 introduced major changes and it took more time from vtss to stabilize.

We acknowledge customer concerns on timing gap and will look for opportunity to release driver updates for Windows in out-of-cycle mode, similarly as we do for Linux now.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos
Bento__Fabio
Beginner

The 2018 update 4 seems to have fixed this issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel

UPDATE: Intel® VTune™ Amplifier 2019 Update 1 released and includes support for running with Microsoft Windows 10 October 2018 Update (aka RS5) build 17763. If you experience issues after installing this version, please submit a ticket at  https://supporttickets.intel.com.

Regards, Katya

0 Kudos