Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Windows 10

Joseph_T_2
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I have Intel parallel studio xe 2016 w/ upgrade 3. it is fully integrated w my Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition and I am on Windows 10. Whenever I use any of the tools I get an error message saying unsupported OS. I am pretty sure w/ the advent of update one that parallel studio is supposed to work on Windows 10. Any help would be great!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

We're still unable to reproduce this in our lab. We have seen issues with interactions with some antivirus software. Do you know if you have any antivirus running, and if so - is it possible to try running with antivirus disabled after a restart to determine if this could be the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I have no difficulty restarting my Inspector project from the Inspector icon, either before or after turning off Insider Previews.  I could not start Inspector inside Visual Studio when I had Insider, but there are so many variables it may not be relevant to you.  I have installed 2016u3 on VS2015u2 community without ia32 support, not that it is likely to matter.

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

I am not sure what you are suggesting

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Only that you provide sufficient detail to reproduce your problem or submit a formal problem report.

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

I am sorry, I did not think very clearly when I posted my OP. It is very vague. Ok here is what I got: I am running Visual Studio 2015 Community w/ update 3 and  Intel parallel studio xe 2016 w/ upgrade 3. I am also running Windows 10. Here is the output from the collector when I run inspector either in VS or by itself the the error out put is the same.

Analysis started...
Result file: C:\Users\Shadow\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MyEngine\MyEngine\My Inspector XE Results - MyEngine\r007mi2\r007mi2.inspxe 
Error: An internal error has occurred. Our apologies for this inconvenience. Please gather a description of the steps leading up to the problem and contact the Intel customer support team.
Error: This operating system is not supported. Suggestion: Check the Release Notes for a list of supported operating systems. 
Error: An internal error has occurred. Our apologies for this inconvenience. Please gather a description of the steps leading up to the problem and contact the Intel customer support team.
Application exit code: -1 
Result file: C:\Users\Shadow\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MyEngine\MyEngine\My Inspector XE Results - MyEngine\r007mi2\r007mi2.inspxe 
Analysis terminated

0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Have you tried using the Inspector XE standalone GUI? I would like to try and narrow this down between Visual Studio integration, or something else. Are you able to create a new project in the GUI and run an analysis on your application from there? You can also try a more simple application just to see if it works. Could you let me know if you are able to do this or if you have any questions?

Once I have this information from you, I will likely take this thread private to try and get some more detailed information about your situation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

Sir,

I tried to use the GUI of Inspector and actually all the other tools that come w/ Intel parallel studio xe 2016 and each one gives me the exact same error output that I posted above. I don't think this problem is a Visual Studio issue.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You're still refusing to say whether you are attempting to launch Inspector using the icon installed in the Visual Studio menu bar, or starting it outside Visual Studio.  I'm not blaming Visual Studio when I can't launch Inspector inside VS.

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

Oh I am so sorry for being so vague. It doesn't matter if I use the icon inside of visual studio or using the icon outside. I have tired using the stand alone GUI and get the same results as I do when I run within VS. Inspector launches just fine I just get the error message I posted above whenever I use it. Inspector runs inside and outside of VS but like I said I get the above error message whenever I run.  

0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

Could you let me know the specifics of your operating system version by running a command like this:

systeminfo | findstr /B /C:"OS Name" /C:"OS Version"

And sharing the result?

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

Ok Sir here is the output of that command line that you posted: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586

0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

Thanks. Can you try this (update your paths accordingly):

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop>"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\Inspector XE"\bin32\inspxe-cl --version

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop>"C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\Inspector XE"\bin32\inspxe-cl -collect mi1 -- "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

And let iexplore.exe run for 5-10 seconds and then close it.

Can you paste the output of all that here?

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

Here is the first output :

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\Inspector XE\bin32>inspxe-cl --version
Intel(R) Inspector XE 2016 Update 3 (build 460803) Command Line tool
Copyright (C) 2009-2016 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Here is the error output from the second command:

Error: This operating system is not supported. Suggestion: Check the Release Notes for a list of supported operating systems.
Error: Result directory C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\Inspector XE\bin32\r000mi1\r000mi1.inspxe is not found or empty. Suggestion: Specify valid path.

0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

Thanks. We are currently trying to reproduce this in our lab. I have filed a ticket with our validation team and I will let you know when I have an update.

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

Thank you so much for your help!!!

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

Sir,

Just an update I have gone back to using Windows 8.1 Professional and I am still getting the same error message that I had first had using Windows 10 as well;

Analysis started...
Result file: C:\Users\Shadows\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MyEngine\MyEngine\My Inspector XE Results - MyEngine\r001mi3\r001mi3.inspxe 
Application exit code: -1 
Result file: C:\Users\Shadows\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MyEngine\MyEngine\My Inspector XE Results - MyEngine\r001mi3\r001mi3.inspxe 
Analysis terminated

0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

Interesting. Inspector has certainly run successfully on that operating system in the past. Can you think of anything out of the ordinary about your system? Are you running any virtual machines or parallel desktops? Any hypervisor type applications?

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

The only thing that is out of the ordinary is that my old HDD crashed and I had to replace it. That is why I started using Windows 8.1 again, I just re upgraded to Windows 10 and now it is complaining about my system clock and telling me that I need to reset my system clock  no virtual desktops or parallel desktops I am not sure what a hypervisor type applications is though

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

I fixed the system clock and I am now getting the first error that started this thread................ 

0 Kudos
Joseph_T_2
Beginner

Keeping this thread alive. As I am still having the same problem.................

0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

We're still unable to reproduce this in our lab. We have seen issues with interactions with some antivirus software. Do you know if you have any antivirus running, and if so - is it possible to try running with antivirus disabled after a restart to determine if this could be the issue.

0 Kudos