Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Windows not being painted correctly in the GUI

Jonathan_M_1
Beginner

Persistently, on several different machines and with several different users (all Windows XP SP2 32 bit) we see the following problem with VTune Amplifier XE 2013 (up to and including update 2).  The same problem also occurred in VTune Amplifier XE 2011

When running the first 1-3 windows (i.e. views within a single analysis) that one opens will be correctly displayed.  However after that new windows will not be displayed correctly, with the contents of the relevant pane being blank (white).  I have seen this affect  source code , assembly and bottom-up/top-down windows.  The source code windows show some sign of life in that when moused over some but not all lines of code will display.  However the event counts never display.

After  restarting the application and opening the project it is generally then possible to display 1-3 windows again, including windows that did not display correctly before but the problem comes back again.

This happens on all projects at our firm every time the application is used.  

It does not depend on how heavily loaded the machines are   - it happens on machines on which only minimal other applications are running.

Any advice / fixes / workarounds would be very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jonathan_M_1
Beginner
Some system info from an affected machine: OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600 OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation OS Configuration: Member Workstation OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard System Model: HP Z600 Workstation System type: X86-based PC Processor(s): 2 Processor(s) Installed. [01]: x86 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2660 Mhz [02]: x86 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2660 Mhz BIOS Version: HPQOEM - 20090819
0 Kudos
Jonathan_M_1
Beginner
Attaching the Amplifier log files from a short session with this problem:
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
This is a valuable report, and thank you for logs. Additional questions are: 1. Was this problem ONLY on Windows XP? 2. Is it possible you upload screen-shots with error painting? Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Jonathan_M_1
Beginner
1. I have only observed this on XP. We have used Windows 7 (although not as much) and I have not seen the problem there yet. 2. Screen shot attached One other comment - this may be somehow connected with using displays spanning multiple monitors - it seems like the visual artefacts sometimes align with monitor boundaries.
0 Kudos