Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

administrative privileges issue when using VTune Amplifier

Wei_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I  am trying to use VTune Amplifier with demo project tachyon_vtune_amp_xe.zip in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\samples\en\C++, but not sure why it reports below issue, so look for help here

It says:  Collection failed.The data cannot be displayed.  Highly accurate CPU time collection is disabled for this analysis.To enable this feature, run the product with the administrative privileges.  [Instrumentation Engine]: SYSCALL_INSPECTOR:Too long trace in the NTDLL!NtSetContextThread function.

I am using it on windows 7, I installed below tools:

vistual studio 2013,

intel parallel studio XE 2015

MKL

IPP

Thank you

John

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Looks like another issue related to function hooking. Usually NTDLL!NtSetContextThread is hooked by AV software in order to control which thread's context is set. Try to disable real-time protection or remove AV from your PC.

0 Kudos
Wei_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Iliyapolak,

Thanks a lot for the quick replies, I'm a newbie here , could you give me more details on how to disable real-time protection, and remove AV, what do you mean AV here, thanks a lot.

John

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi John:

Note: the "instrumentation engine" message is NOT related to the "administrative privileges" messages.  They are two separate messages.  The admin privileges warning is just that - you can ignore it, unless you want more accurate timings.

The instrumentation engine message is unusual and Ilya is implying that it is related to anti-virus (AV) software.  Is there AV software running on the system?  Can you turn off "on-access" checking?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@WEI Z.

AV - Anti-Virus software. Usually disabling of Real-Time protection is done from the AV GUI. Of course beside the AV software also malware sometime hooks aforementioned  function.

0 Kudos
Wei_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi iliyapolak,MrAnderson,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I used McAfee AV software installed by default when I took the PC from IT. From its GUI, I did not see where to turn off its real time protection, can you help to guide if you know.  I opened a ticket for McAfee support group, they replied that they only support on installation not configuration.  

I then tried to uninstall the VTune amplifier,   download and install the update2 version ' VTune_Amplifier_XE_2015_update2_setup ', this time, it reports more information as below:

Collection failed
    02/27/15 17:51:45  Collection failed. The data cannot be displayed. 
    Highly accurate CPU time collection is disabled for this analysis. To enable this feature, run the product with the administrative privileges.
    [Instrumentation Engine]: SYSCALL_INSPECTOR: Too long trace in the NTDLL!NtSetContextThread function Incompatible operating system or incompatible software installed on the system Pin is exiting due to fatal error 

It reports Incompatible operating system or incompatible software, I used windows 7, looks should be fine, but about incompatible software,  do we have tools to point what software is incompatible?

Thank you

John

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Simply uninstall McAffee AV. Sometimes misbehaving AV software can cause such a error.

0 Kudos