Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

amplxe: Warning: Cannot start collection of GPU events

zhang_f_
Beginner

Hi,

My system is Win 8.1 pro. I use VTune 2015 and I want to do some GPU analysis and get some GPU Metrics. I run "CPU/GPU Concurrency Analysis" in VTune Amplifier but cannot run.

When I use the VTune GUI and run the "CPU/GPU Concurrency Analysis", it appears this  in Collection log:

!Cannot start collection of GPU events

and there comes a window: amplxe-runss.exe

amplxe-runss.exe has stopped working

I even cannot shut down the command line window.

Then I tried the command line but also get the same error, what should I do?

C:\Windows\system32>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\bin64\
amplxe-cl" -collect cpugpu-concurrency -app-working-dir E:\Projects\test\Debug -
- E:\Projects\test\Debug\test.exe
amplxe: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter
 from another console window: amplxe-cl -r C:\Windows\system32\r001cgc -command
stop.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot start collection of GPU events

I recall that I also installed the Intel INDE and PCM yesterday. Does that matter? Do I need to reinstall my operating system?

Hope for your reply. Thanks!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi zhang,

We need to know your CPU and video driver version. Can you run VTune with administrative privileges, then select "Basic Hotspots" analysis type with "Analyze GPU Usage" option enabled. Please turn "Analyze Processor Graphics hw events" to "None". I suspect you should be able to collect the data. When result opens, scroll down summary window and provide GPU related information: GPU name, Video driver version and date.

0 Kudos
zhang_f_
Beginner

Sure.

I use i7-4770R.

Since I cannot copy the text in the VTune GUI, I paste the command-line result as follows. I also put the screenshot into the attachment.

Please tell me what to do next, thanks!

CPU
---
Parameter          r002hs
-----------------  -------------------------------------------------
Name               4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor family
Logical CPU Count  8

GPU
---
Parameter  r002hs
---------  -----------------------------------
Name       Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics 5200
Vendor     Intel Corporation
Driver     10.18.14.4080 (2015/1/5)
Stepping   8

Summary
-------
Elapsed Time:  1.154

GPU Usage
---------
GPU Engine        GPU Time:Self
----------------  -------------
Render and GPGPU          0.006
amplxe: Executing actions 100 % done

C:\Windows\system32>

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Thanks!

Are you using VTune 2015 Update 1 (build 380310)? Recent video driver versions require using the most recent VTune version.

0 Kudos
zhang_f_
Beginner

Yes, I use the VTune_Amplifier_XE_2015_update1_setup.exe. (185 MB)

Shall I reinstall it?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

No.  What Vitaly is saying is that you need a newer version.  Unfortunately, it is not yet available.  There will be an update released, shortly, but we are unable to pre-announce release dates.  We will update this thread when the release is available.

0 Kudos
zhang_f_
Beginner

I noticed that there is an older version. If I install this version, will VTune work? I haven't tried.

Intel® Iris™ and HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1 64bit

Installs the Intel® Iris™ and HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1 64-bit version 15.36.7.64.3960 (10.18.10.3960)
OS: Windows 7 (64-bit)*, Windows 8, 64-bit*, Windows 8.1, 64-bit*
10/3/2014 15.36.7.64.3960
(Previously released)
Drivers
0 Kudos
zhang_f_
Beginner

I reinstalled the older GPU version(10.18.10.3960(2014/9/29)) and re-run the "CPU/GPU Concurrency Analysis" in VTune.

The program seems finish its running but it got stuck. Then Win 8.1 appears blue screen and DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. and then system reboot.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Yeah, I would not recommend downgrading from the version that was on the system when you received it.  Had you previously used the 2014/9/29 version on the system (without VTune Amplifier)?  Or, did the system come with 10.18.14.4080 (2015/1/5) installed on it?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>RIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL>>>

This BSOD occurs very frequently. Can you post windbg output? 

0 Kudos
zhang_f_
Beginner

Hi, I reinstall my Win 8.1. Then install the 10/3/2014GPU driver, and then install the OpenCL SDK. I install the VTune update1 version at last.

CPU/GPU Concurrency Analysis seems working.

But the Collection Log has many warnings. Do they matters?

I paste some as follows and I paste the full results in the attachment. It is a OpenCL test result. I noticed that there are many 0s.

C:\Windows\system32>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015\bin64\
amplxe-cl" -collect cpugpu-concurrency -app-working-dir D:\Projects\OpenCLProjec
t1\Debug -- D:\Projects\OpenCLProject1\Debug\OpenCLProject1.exe
amplxe: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter
 from another console window: amplxe-cl -r C:\Windows\system32\r003cgc -command
stop.
Number of available platforms: 2
Expected minimum alignment for buffers is 128 bytes...
NDRange performance counter time 231.526382 ms.
amplxe: Collection stopped.
amplxe: Using result path `C:\Windows\system32\r003cgc'
amplxe: Executing actions 16 % Resolving information for `ntdll.dll'
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\windows\syswow64\m
svcrt.dll'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\windows\system32\h
al.dll'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `C:\program files (x86
)\common files\intel\opencl2.0\bin\x86\task_executor32_2_0.dll'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\windows\syswow64\i
gdbcl32.dll'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\windows\system32\d
rivers\dxgmms1.sys'.
amplxe: Executing actions 16 % Resolving information for `kernel32.dll'
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging symbols for file `c:\windows\system32\k

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

You can ignore them. Inability to get symbol information for system modules affects the quality of stacks and function names resolution in system modules. You can find more details here.

As for the original problem - looks like recent video driver is the culprit of the problem. Let me check if we can reproduce it on our side and verify if there is such issue on coming VTune update. We may later contact you via private message to get more detailed information about your system.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
zhang_f_
Beginner

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Could be display driver which caused page fault at IRQL == 0x2.

0 Kudos
zhang_f_
Beginner

The driver I use caused that problem is 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=24596&lang=eng&wapkw=intel%C2%AE+iris%E2%84%A2+and+hd+graphics+driver

The driver I use fine is

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng&ProdId=3723

It doesn't matter. I use the older version driver and I think it is fine.

0 Kudos