Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

blue screen Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 4

David_Eberly
New Contributor I

I had been profiling an application that has C#/.NET code, a C++ library, and a managed layer between the two--using Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 2.  I installed Update 4 and now cannot profile.  After launching VTune, a short time later my machine locks up, followed by an automatic reboot.  The Event Viewer has an entry for WER that says this was a blue-screen event, and a minidump file and a full memory dump were generated.  This occurs on a Windows machine with OS 15063.296 (Creator's update).  I have another machine, a XEON workstation with the Windows Anniversary edition, but at the moment I do not have the exact specifications at hand.  On that machine, VTune runs, starts the data collection, but before data collection is complete, I get a crash and a window that asks whether I would like to send the report to Intel (which I have not yet done before investigating first).  I have successfully profiled an application that is only C++, which suggests maybe the managed code might be an issue.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems with update 4?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dmitry_E_2
Beginner

I've got the same problem with VTune crash on data collection stage. It is somehow related to Windows debug symbols and symbols local cache. If I remove reference to srv*C:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols from Binary/Symbol search, VTune runs ok.

0 Kudos
David_Eberly
New Contributor I

I was able to get an error dialog with the crash details, and I sent that by email to the Intel folks.  I looked at the dialog for Binary/Symbol search.  There are no search paths listed.

0 Kudos
Dmitry_E_2
Beginner

In the standalone VTune look for the 'Binary/Symbol Search' button on the project's 'Analysis Target' page. If there is srv* line remove it.In the VisualStudio look for Tools->Options menu, than in the Option window look for Debugging--Symbols. Uncheck 'Microsoft Symbol Servers' checkbox and clear 'Cache symbols in this directory' field. Hope, it helps.

0 Kudos
David_Eberly
New Contributor I

Thank you for your help.  Unfortunately for me, the problem still occurs (bluescreen reboot).

0 Kudos
Shailen_Sobhee
Employee

Hello David,

Can you please send me all the details (crash logs, screenshots, configuration settings) so that we can investigate further?

Thanks,

Shailen.

0 Kudos