Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

call graph and an MPI process

lazanoff
Beginner
looking for a hint on how to use vtune's call graph featurewith an MPI app where:
mpiexec -np 1 program
and the program was compiled and linked with -Zi, /DEBUG and /fixed;no
platform=xp pro sp2, ifort 8.1, andmpich2 (09/04 distribution).
The program process id doesn't appear in a process table (ps in a bash shell).
0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
I'm checking on your question, but you should check out http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/vtune/v71/sb/cs-014754-prd1391.htmfor information on a problem with the VTune analyzer on Windows* XP* SP2.
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
You should be able to specify 'mpiexec' as the app to launch and put the rest in the command line arguments field.Then, removempiexec from the modules of interest and add the mpi app as the module of interest.
Let us know if it works!
0 Kudos
lazanoff
Beginner
Thanks, Dave. Your suggestion does in fact work right up to and including the xp/SP2 failure that you reference.
Turns out my single node MPI process runs without getting started by mpiexec,so I was able to run vtune directly on the app andstill ran into the call graph/SP2 bug.
Too much work to try to uninstall SP2. Might be easier to add another partition and install a scratch version of SP1.
art
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Per the URL I listed earlier, you only need to view some local sampling data after starting the analyzer to workaround the SP2 problem. Just collect a default sampling run of 5 or 10 seconds in your project and always open the results after starting the analyzer. That's what I would do. :-}
0 Kudos